Author Topic: REFINISHING  (Read 4059 times)

ysj

REFINISHING
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »
WHAT IS THE PROPER TYPE OR COLOR FOR THE METAL PARTS OF A 219, AND THE STOCK.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: REFINISHING
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
As best as I can determine, the Utica guns all had blue receivers and barrels, mostly prior to WWII.  After the war when the plant moved to Chicopee Falls, color case hardened frames appreared until the end of production, at Westfield, about 1965/7.  Early stocks were walnut and later stocks were some other kind of hardwood and were stained a walnut color.  You will find some frames that are red.  This is caused, I believe, from trying to reblue the later color case hardened frames, or reblueing a blued receiver and leaving it in the blueing tanks too long.  I had this happen many years ago to an early Ruger Flat Top .44 Magnum.  The receiver was a cherry red when i got it back.  If the trigger guard is the painted alloy style, I suggest removing all the black paint and either polishing it bright or repainting.  I don't think these trigger guards were primed before painting.  I would suggest polishing, priming with a good grade metal primer, and finishing with a good auto high heat engine gloss black or semi-gloss.  Thanks for your question.