Author Topic: Ful length mannlicher stock 219  (Read 2837 times)

Jkrock

Ful length mannlicher stock 219
« on: October 24, 2019, 09:35:10 AM »
Good morning,

I was just in my local shop and they had a savage 219 in 22 hornet, and they reduced the price while I was there to $99. It was a consignment gun originally marked at $399, and the guy wanted it gone!    It's in fair shape, but the one thing it had that I haven't seen before is a full length mannlicher fore end.  Both the foreend and the butt stock are checkered as well.   

For that price, I grabbed it.

Does anyone know if  these mannlicher style  fore ends were factory, or was this an aftermarket customization?

Thanks,

Jim 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 09:50:14 AM by Jkrock »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Ful length mannlicher stock 219
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
Jim, I have one in my collection.  Mine is not a factory done stock, but a full custom by an unknown person.  Can you send some pictures of your gun so I can compare to mine?  I cannot post a picture of mine right now as I am leaving in a few days on a trip and my collection is in a safe storage.  Thanks for sharing.  Also, does your rifle have a serial number?  It would be on the lower left rear of the frame.  If it does have a serial number you can get a factory letter from Savage for $35.  Best wishes, Garnett

Jkrock

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »
Thanks Garnett.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them tomorrow.  It does have a serial number (at least the shop put one on the sale paperwork)  .  Thanks for the info about sending a letter to Savage

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
Jim, most of the early rifles did not have serial numbers.  They were made before and during WWII at Utica.  I only have 4 rifles with serial numbers.  I look forward to your pictures.

Jkrock

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 02:58:21 PM »

Jkrock

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »

Jkrock

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
This one says Utica on the barrel, so maybe the "serial number" the gun shop wrote down is something else.   It's Y31V.

If you want a better picture of any part, let me know!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »
Jim, the "Y31V" is an assembly number.  It should be on the bottom of the barrel in front of the lug, on the inside top left side of the frame, and if the stock has not been shortened, stamped into the wood under the butt plate.  If all 3 numbers match (more or less) then that is a good indication the gun left the factory with that barrel and stock.  Your gun is what I call a "2nd Model Utica".  This means it has a slim profile trigger with an alloy trigger guard.  The "1st Model Uticas" had a gracefully shaped steel shotgun style trigger guard tapering to the rear.  Also, another feature your gun has is the uncommon factory drilled and tapped for a side mount scope base.  The barrel writing is normally on the left side of the barrel, but when fitted for a scope at the factory, they moved the writing to the top center of the barrel to avoid drilling holes into the writing.  I do not believe the M/S style forearm is a factory original. Nor is the checkering.  Notice that it is more of a square than a diamond pattern.  However, the checkering on the stock is of a diamond pattern.   If you can send a full picture of the stock along with the length of pull I can hopefully determine if the stock is original to the gun.  Also, a picture of the inside and outside of the butt plate would help.  The frame has been reblued and turned red/purple due to the nickel content in the metal.  All in all, you did great on the price!  The readers of my book have shared with me that for an inexpensive gun, they are very accurate, but have a terrible trigger pull.  Your gun would have been made between 1936 and 1946.  After that the company moved to Chicopee Falls.  I hope this info helps.

Jkrock

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
Wow, thanks Garnett.  Very informative and much appreciated.  For $99 I couldn't leave it there, and am hoping to shoot it today.

Attached is a picture of the butt plate.  and the stock.  To be honest, I didn't feel like getting involved in taking it off to see underneath this morning.  Also, I'm not really sure how to even take the foreend off at this point, but I'm not planning on taking it apart now just to see the numbers anyway..  I believe it's screwed on in a couple places(brass end cap, and possible front sling swivel as there is a barrel band there.)

Length of pull is 14 inches.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:11:30 AM by Jkrock »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 08:20:10 AM »
Jim, Thanks for the additional pictures.  I believe the stock and butt plate are original to the gun.  I think the checkering was added when the M/S forearm was installed, but I could be wrong on that.  I have one gun in my collection that has a factory original etching on both sides of the frame and a stock that is checkered similar to yours.  In my research on these guns I have found that Savage did offer items not listed in their catalogs.  Please keep us posted on how it shoots.

Jkrock

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »
Thank you again, Garnett.  Gun shot fine.  As you mentioned, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.  Biggest issue I had is the scope is really terrible.  I could see the target better with my naked eye.  Anyway, I took 3 shots at 50 yards and kept them within an inch group.  I'm sure I could do better with a scope I can see through, so I think the gun will shoot just fine.  I'm looking forward to messing with it more in the future.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »
Thanks for the update.  You really got a great buy on your gun!