Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

Gunsmithing guidance - fitting 219 barrel to 220 action

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mike Armstrong:
I think we might start a thread of "219 Friendly 'Smiths"--guys we KNOW have done good work on 219/220s.   They are out there but "going fast."  They also tend to be not just old, but in odd corners of the country where not everyone wants a plastic rifle. 

The only caveat I'd add is that most gunsmiths of any sort don't give guarantees on their work unless it's warranty work by a warranty 'smith.  But what do you have to lose if you have a barrel or gun you can't use as-is?

Garnett:
Mike, this is a good idea.  I will talk with my two gunsmiths to see if they would like to be on such a list.

Mike Armstrong:
I'm working with a guy that was recommended to me by a maker of barrel liners whose customers have had him reline several 219s that had wrecked bores.  If/when I see what his work is like, I'll let you know whether I would recommend him.  He sounds like an easy person to work with except for not using email (I prefer email to phone calls when discussing details.  But lots of 'smiths don't like it as much). 

This fellow is in rural Indiana.  He charges $50 per hour, not an unusual charge for custom work.  I'll ask him how long a typical barrel fit for a 219 barrel would take.

Garnett:
Mike, One of my local gunsmiths is willing to work on the 219's, particularly in fitting newly acquired barrels to your existing actions.  I have used him for years and am completely satisfied with his work.  I will list his contact information so anyone in need of his services can contact him direct.  PLEASE UNDERSTAND.....Should you use him and have any problem with his work, I cannot, nor will not, be responsible.  I am just listing him as a favor to readers of this forum, as a licensed gun smith, who is willing to work on these early M219/220 guns.  Harvey King, HK Custom Guns, 7641 Alabama Highway 22, Valley Grande, Alabama 36701.  Phone 334-875-2978    E-mail: Harvey-king@usa.net    I suggest phones as the best way to contact him.  His contact info is also listed in the Revised Edition of my book on page 281. 

I invite other readers to list gun smiths that you have used and are satisfied with their work on these type guns.  BUT PLEASE.....be sure you have their permission to do so.

Mike, have you talked with your guy about lining barrels yet?

Mike Armstrong:
Thanks for the reference, Garnett.  I may have a job for your guy soon.

I had the buggered-up 219 B .22 Hornet I inherited from my uncle relined to .25-20 by a gunsmith in Indiana; he just finished it and I won't have it in hand until the new year since I'm going to be out of the country until early Jan. and didn't want him to ship it during the Christmas shipping glut.  I'll report on the job and how well (or poorly) it works when it gets here in January.  No chance to test it now even if I had it, since all out public ranges are closed by fires or fire hazard right now.  The one thing I know is that it wasn't cheap--lots of extra work caused by the oversized re-chamber that my unc. got talked into....

Everybody have a great Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year!  One thing we can ALL afford is HOPE, and it has got us through a LOT!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version