Savage Single Shot Firearms > Savage 219 Single Shot Rifles

another 30-30

(1/2) > >>

t4halo:
I posted this on Savage Shooters and thought I would share here.  I have a 30-30 and 22h along with a 12,16,20,28 and 410.  I also have a couple of other shotgun barrels sitting around as well.  I stumbled accross another 30-30 that was scope grooved and the price was right so I jumped on it.  I run a Northern Michigan deer camp and will be hunting with the scoped 219b.  I mounted one my old Lyman 4x scopes grabbed a cheap box of PPUs and headed to my buddies place for zeroing.  There were 4 of us shooting and all 3 of the other guys were truly amazed on how light weight and accurate the little Savage was.  At 100 yards from the prone it shot a true 3/4 of an inch group.  Now the other fellows all want one....haha. 

Glad I found this site and I just ordered the book.  I hunt Grouse and Woodcock with my 220b in 28ga.  I have single shot issues.

Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Garnett:
Tony, thanks for your input and also for your purchase of my book.  I will get it in the mail today.  Should you decide to put a scope on the grooved barrel, please let me know if you have any problem with the recoil loosening the scope blocks.  I have never fired one myself so your information will be a help if I ever get enough new data to have a revised edition of my book.  Best wishes, Garnett

t4halo:
Garnett, Both the 30-30 and the 22H with scope grooves have scopes mounted.  After over 100 rounds the 22H is maintaining zero and the 30-30 is doing fine after 25.  I would think the 30-30 will be the hardest on the scope so I'll keep my eye on it and let you know how it does.

Garnett:
Tony, thanks for this additional information.  It is helpful to my research.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett:
Tony, i just had another thought.....do you load your own ammo?  years ago when i did a lot of loading i discovered that i needed to "fit the load to the gun".  i always tried several loads and bullet weights until i got the one that shot best in that rifle or pistol.  if you reload, you understand what i am saying.  some of the younger folks who have not tried reloading might experiment for themselves.  Best wishes, Garnett

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version