Author Topic: Birmingham Gun Show M220 in 28 gauge  (Read 5135 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
Birmingham Gun Show M220 in 28 gauge
« on: October 05, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
There was one Model 220 shotgun at the 650 table show.  Over all good condition priced at $495.  It did not sell.  The first time I saw it a few months ago it had a shortened stock (13" L.O.P.).   The current ower has replaced the cut stock with a starndard one.  Looks much better, but to someone who cares, the assembly numbers will no longer match.    There were no M219's for sale.

Mike Armstrong

Re: Birmingham Gun Show M220 in 28 gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
Savage single shots are equally uncommon out here in CA.

Several factors. 

One thing is that they just aren't collected by many people so their Bluebook value is not high enough to get dealers interested in buying them for resale.  Restrictive gun laws like we have here add fixed fees to any transaction; same fee for a "Best Quality" Purdey or a 220.  So the cheaper guns often just don't pay enough after fees to put on the market (let alone "fixer uppers"--sometimes the fees are higher than the value!).

Lower cost Savages like these are/were primarily hunting guns.  They get "used up" and lose resale value in the process.  And ordinary people who mainly own guns like these for use move around a lot nowadays.  So the guns get broken up and lost in moving, since they can easily be taken apart into more easily and safely transported sections.  Forends and irons are especially easy to lose in a move and that renders the gun unusable, and more likely to be turned in for whatever the local cops are offering in gun buybacks or simply discarded.

And they are simply unfashionable.  Not enough firepower to appeal to the Rambo wannabes or the  one-weekend a year hunter who just HAS to get a limit of birds or a buck in a few hours hunting.  Not high tech enough to appeal to the gadget lover.

Wish they'd sell 'em all to me.  I'd run a "Savage rescue home"...."Not For Profit" of course!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:26:50 PM by Mike Armstrong »

Art Seib

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
There was a m220 in 410 for $150 but wife couldn't justify my driving 5hrs 1 way to look at it. Someday maybe, 1st I have to find a 219.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
Art, was this at the Bham show?  I missed it.  Depending on the condition, that was an excellent price.  Maybe next time!  :-\

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:18:27 AM »
Art, there is a nice M219B in .22 Hornet on Gunbroker.