Author Topic: 220A problem  (Read 4852 times)

Art Seib

220A problem
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
Had my 220a out for pheasant season and noticed it is sticking when I try to open. I assume the lock is not moving completely out of the way. Is it hard to fix and what parts should I be looking for? Will parts from a Stevens work,or something newer? And no, the firing pin is not sticking out. Can I get at these without taking the stock off?  Thanks all

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 220A problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 11:14:06 AM »
Art, I don't know that I can be of any help with your problem, but I will share what I do know.  Some of these guns that have had little use, are very difficult to open because they are so tight.  Some of mine open easily, but some require all the pressure my 77 year old hands can provide to get the lever far enough over to release the lock.  You may not need any parts, unless a broken part is causing the problem, but just some use to loosen it up.  I feel sure a competent gunsmith could possibly polish the parts so they would work smoothly or you might try it yourself.  You must remove the stock to get to any of the internal action parts.  I do know from what others have found out.....if you disassemble one of these.....when you put it back together, if you think a wire spring is bent...do NOT try to straighten it as it is bent that shape for a purpose.  If Stevens parts can be substituted, I am not aware of it.  I have bought several Savage 219/220 parts from Numrich (GunPartsCorp) as they have lots of parts for the 219/220.  They also list a lot of parts that they no longer have.  They are listed on the internet.   Maybe some of the other readers can suggest something.  Good luck.

Art Seib

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
Thank you Garnett and the arthritis in these 67 yo hands are not helping me either.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »
Art, did you ever solve your problem?  If so, please share with us how you fixed it.  Best wishes, Garnett

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
I'm sure you have tried this, but if not, try a light application of Kroil or another "penetrating oil" around the lever pivot pin.  Let that sit in there for a half-hour and then shoot some "canned air" into all the cracks and crevices of the action with the barrel and forend removed.  Sometimes some crud or even a weed seed has worked its way into the action and you can dislodge it this way.  Don't overdo the oil and be sure to blow any excess out with the canned air--too much oil will rot the "head" of the walnut stock over time because the head is end grain wood.

Oh, yeah.  ANYTIME you shoot canned air into a confined space like that, MAKE SURE you wear safety glasses or goggles.  Sometimes the crap you are trying to blow out of the action ends up in your face. 

(Please DON'T ask me how I know this!).