Author Topic: Bought a 220A today, Thought it was a 20 gauge  (Read 4683 times)

TRWalker

Bought a 220A today, Thought it was a 20 gauge
« on: November 11, 2015, 12:04:05 AM »
I looked at a 20 gauge model 220A shotgun on Saturday at a local pawn shop. It had a good bit of surface rust and some rust in the barrel. It had an old  leather recoil pad tied on, and some stock dings.  Otherwise, pretty solid. The price seemed high to me at $325.  I went back today and bought the  gun for $250 OTD.  The price still seemed high to me, but I really liked the gun.  I tried to insert an empty  20 gauge shell with tape over the primer to see if the firing pin worked, but it wouldn't fit. Guess what.  It's a 28 gauge!  Took it home, cleaned it, and fired a few shells. It works great.  It's missing the buttplate under the lace-on recoil pad, but the stock hasn't been cut. Overall, I'm very happy.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Bought a 220A today, Thought it was a 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:25 AM »
That is a great find!  The 28 gauge guns are scarce.  Try looking on Gunbroker and EBay for an original butt plate.You might also try Numrich (Gun Parts Corp) for one.  They seem to have the most original parts.  If it has a serial number, will you share it with me for my research?  You can email me at      garnettstancil@hotmail.com   I will really appreciate it.  Best wishes, Garnett

TRWalker

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
Sorry, no serial number on this one.  Made in Chicopee Falls. Walnut stock, top lever.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
O.K. thanks.  Welcome to this forum.  I hope you will find it useful.  Best wishes, Garnett