Author Topic: Pierced primers 22 Hornet  (Read 5067 times)

TRWalker

Pierced primers 22 Hornet
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
My 219 in 22 Hornet is piercing holes in the primers and metal is flowing back into the space around the firing pin making the action difficult to open. Do any of you know someone who can install a new bushing and/or firing pin? Love the gun and need to get this fixed.    I've tried several brands of ammo and handloads.  Primers pierce about 90 % of time. Action is always hard to open as primers always deform.Thanks for any information.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Pierced primers 22 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
TR, We have 3 competent gunsmiths here in the Selma Alabama area.  I will talk to them about it.  I don't work on guns so I have no idea as to the problem.  My first thought is to get a new firing pin in case the one in the gun is not original, maybe home made, and too long.  Just a thought.  I will let you know what my friends say. 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »
I talked with my two gunsmith friends.  One of them says the problem could be any number of things.  He is Jimmy McCullough, of McCullough Rifle Co., 494 Seymore Road, Valley Grande, Alabama 36701.  His phone is 334-875-6443.

The other is Harvey King, HK Custom Guns, 7641 AL Hwy 22, Valley Grande, Alabama 36701.  Phone 334-875-2978.  His website is: www.hkcustomguns.com   and his email is: harvey-king@usa.net      He seems to think (without any details) that the firing pin is the problem.   I tried checking his website and got some weird place.  I will call him about it tomorrow.

I talked with Harvey this morning.  His son maintains his website and Harvey called his son while I was there.  Hopefully the problem will be fixed soon.  Also, the best way to reach both men is by phone, Monday thru Thursday.

I have known both for over 30 years and find them to be honest to deal with and capable of expert repairs.  Both say they will be happy to talk to you about your problem.  Good luck.  I am sorry I cannot be of more help.  I had the same problem with a Hornet M219 many years ago and carried it back the day after purchase for a refund of my money, so I have no idea what caused my pierced primers. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:15:51 PM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:59:23 PM »
Glad to know that there are a couple of competent 'smiths that are willing to tackle 219/220 problems!  THANKS FOR SHARING!

Mike Armstrong