Author Topic: M219 .22 Hornet....Factory marked "SECOND"  (Read 7074 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
M219 .22 Hornet....Factory marked "SECOND"
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »
I just added this rifle to my collection.  Both the barrel and receiver are marked "SECOND".  Doe anyone else have a M219 or M220 marked this way?  There is no name at all on the gun.  It is a "2ND Model" Utica.  Flanged barrel, slim trigger, with alloy trigger guard.  Any information will be appreciated. 

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:24:00 PM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

Re: M219 .22 Hornet....Factory marked "SECOND"
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:34:54 AM »
Garnett, do you see any flaws or other issues that would lead to this gun being classified as a "Second?"  I've heard of other US mfrs. that sold guns as "seconds" usually to employees at a reduced rate back in the 1920s-30s.  But I've never seen what qualified these guns as seconds.  Had an Ithaca NID 12 guage SxS that had a sales hang tag marked "Second" on it when I got it, and it was also marked with the gun's serial number, so I know it was intended to go with that particular double.  But I could find NO reason for that designation--even the chokes were perfectly within Ithaca specs for Mod and Full.

Sometimes wonder if it was a ploy to justify dropping the price to clear inventory and get some cash, but not set a precedent of knocking down the regular MSRP....US mfrs. USED to not want to ever do that.  Of course now the MSRP is a joke among US consumers.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:42:43 AM »
Mike, this gun definitely has two "cosmetic" flaws.  Both were almost unnoticeable.  I am leaving town in a few minutes, but will get back with you later.  Garnett

Franco44

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 10:17:35 AM »
I have no knowledge other than it may have been the second prototype or sample before production run.
I also bid on this rifle at gun auction.
I worked in engineering during my career, does not seem likely that they would have been so neat with marking it a factory second.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:17:14 AM »
I have no knowledge other than it may have been the second prototype or sample before production run.
I also bid on this rifle at gun auction.
I worked in engineering during my career, does not seem likely that they would have been so neat with marking it a factory second.

Franco44, Thanks for your input.  We may never know the story.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
Since my last post I found another Savage marked "Second", but it was only on one component...either the barrel or the receiver, but not both.  I can't remember which.  It was on Gunbroker. 

Mannyrock

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »
    I find this really interesting, as the pictures of the Second show such a beautiful gun.   I would have expected to see something like a big drip or defect in the bluing, or a big knot in the wood, or a big sap mark in the stock which would not take the stain correctly.

I guess that they could be the sample guns that were given to traveling salesmen who were riding around on routes to small hardware stores and general stores,which still numbered in the tens of thousands until the mid-1960s,  trying to get orders signed up.    After being returned by the salesmen, maybe they were given a quick refurbishing and then marked as Seconds.

All speculation though.

Maybe a simple letter to Savage asking them would get some sort of reply?

Mannyrock

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 12:24:41 PM »
I have written to the Savage Legal Department twice (during the writing of my book) asking permission to use the Savage "Logo" on the front cover.  They did not reply to either letter.  Mr. Callahan, a retired Savage employee, who has all the Savage records did answer lots of questions for me until he was offered the job as Curator of the Savage museum.  At that time he advised me he could no longer answer questions as he had to devote full time to revamping the Savage museum.  He will for a very reasonable fee, furnish information about Savage arms that have a serial number.  I have letters from him for all 4 of my guns that have serial numbers.

Please see my earlier posts about the very minor cosmetic flaws.  Otherwise the gun is perfect.  I forgot to mention in the picture of the barrel, note that it is factory drilled and tapped, for a side mount scope. 
1-4-17  I did not notice until after the above post that instead of the normal front sight, it has a "hooded" front sight that was standard on the Savage Model 340.  This same sight was available in some Savage catalogs for sale as a separate item.  All in all, it is really a unique very nice gun. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 06:43:00 PM by Garnett »