Author Topic: Howdy Yall !  (Read 4187 times)

Blanco

Howdy Yall !
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
Isn't that what you expect all Texans to say ?
I have been on the search for a nice 219 for quite a few years. My Grandfather had a nice one many years ago, that has since disappeared. I recently acquired an early model in 22 Hornet. It has seen better days  but is quite the shooter. I found that the stock has multiple cracks in the tang area on both sides and above the front rounds and the trigger guard. It is still repairable but is very oil soaked. No serial numbers on mine thin trigger zinc /aluminum triggergaurd ? model 219 on the right I believe.
Mine also has the striker with a replaceable firing pin. Any suggestions on where to get new pin material ?

Anyhow i'm the type that shoots all my guns so no one feels neglected.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Howdy Yall !
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »
Welcome to this forum!  You have what I describe as a Second Model Utica 219.  The First Model has a steel, gracefully tapered trigger guard.  Both models are striker fired and cock when the top lever is moved to the right to open the action.  None of these early models had serial numbers.  They do have internal assembly numbers that mostly (all long explanation is needed for this) match.  The stock cracks are a design fault with the 219/220 models.  If the cracks are repairable, I suggest using a good epoxy to repair with and to glass bed the inside of the stock to prevent future cracks.  I also suggest glass bedding stocks that are not cracked as a precaution.  When restocking with a 90% inletted stock I suggest leaving more wood (thicker) where the stock joins the action and also glass bedding.  The other design defect is the firing pin.  They won't hold up to dry firing and if the trigger is pulled with the action  open and not re-cocked before closing, the firing pin can be cut off.  Numrich Arms (GunPartsCo) has a lot of these parts.  Firing pins, other internal parts, and stocks.  Right now on EBay is a group of internal parts listed that has the striker type pin.  I hope you will enjoy being a part of this forum.  Best wishes, Garnett

Mike Armstrong

Re: Howdy Yall !
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:51:03 AM »
Hey, dude!

(Isn't the what everybody expects Californians to say?  Even though it's still an insult where I come from in CA....). 

I'm with you on the "shoot 'em all" deal!  (Don't much like drag queens, safe queens, Brit queens, or really any kind of queens except honeybee queens!).