Author Topic: Different barrels from different models of the 219  (Read 4565 times)

savagebrother

Different barrels from different models of the 219
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:09:02 PM »
Ok so I picked up a really nice 219B with a 30-30 barrel which is in great shape. Bore is Brice and shiney with sharp rifling. Now??? I picked up a 22 hornet barrel that is marked with the gun info on the barrel and it a plane 219 barrel. It fits on and is good and tight, BUT, and I used a snap cap for 22 hornet, after I fired it at first it was very hard to open it back up. It did finally open but upon closing it, it doesn't cock the action????? That's my dilemma. The hornet barrel is a flanged barrel and it sits deeper in the action.
Thanks fo any info guys
SB

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Different barrels from different models of the 219
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
SB, You are lucky that the Hornet barrel fit perfectly without having to be fitted to the action.  Starting with the "B" actions, they changed internally from a striker system to a hammer system.  With the early striker systems, they cocked when the top lever is moved to the right to open the action.  Any barrel (early or late) will work with them.  The hammer system guns have a spring loaded stud at the bottom right rear of the barrel lug that engages a cocking lever in the right rear bottom of the action and cocks the hammer when the barrel pivots open.  Check your new Hornet barrel, and I believe you will find this stud missing.  You have two options....save the Hornet barrel for an early striker action, or....the stud assembly can be found on Ebay and sometimes from Numrich Arms.  The assembly has 3 pieces, hollow stud, spring, and retaining screw.  The barrel lug would have to be drilled and tapped for the assembly.  Anyone can tell at a glance whether any M219/220 action is a striker or hammer model.  The striker actions have one large pin and the hammer models have two large pins.  As to the Hornet barrel being hard to open.....The barrel lug to locking lug measurement could be different from the original barrel.  I have found a lot of these guns that show little use are very tight and hard to open.  A competent gunsmith should be able to adjust the barrel lug on the Hornet so that it is not so hard to open (If you decide to modify it and leave it on this action).  I suggest advising him NOT to change any dimension of the locking lug as this could make a change in the way the original barrel locks up.  I hope this is some help to you. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:46:16 AM by Garnett »

savagebrother

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
hey garnet, thanks and yes the 22 hornet barrel does not have the cocking pin.  my 30-30 barrel is really sweet and the trigger isnt to bad. i think ill add the cocking pin to the 22 hornet barrel so i can shoot it too. when i got the hornet barrel i didnt know what shape the bore was in??? well when i looked down it it didnt look very good and i just thought if it didnt i would have JES reboring line it for me.  well after two hours and lots of elbow grease and i think some finger skin, it actually cleaned up and is brite and shiney all the way down!!! oh well dont count out out until you cant scrub the bore no more LOL !!!!!
SB

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 05:09:14 PM »
I am glad the bore cleaned up good.  Please keep us informed on your project to install a cocking pin.  Garnett

savagebrother

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
will do, looking forward to shooting a hornet again
SB