Author Topic: Original source of 219/220 "carbine barrels"?  (Read 3721 times)

Mike Armstrong

Original source of 219/220 "carbine barrels"?
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »
Garnett, I was scanning a batch of 1968-74 vintage copies of "Guns and Ammo" to see if I could learn anything before shipping them off to a customer and noticed a Numrich Arms ad that I'd never noticed before (or forgot--1969 is a while ago....).

In the ad for replacement gun parts, mainly Remington, there was a boxed ad:

.357 MAGNUM SHOTGUN CONVERSION BARRELS.  Convert your Steven-Savage single-shotgun to .357 Magnum or Stevens Models 94, 107, .22-.410, Savage Models 219, 220, and 24.  Barrels are 18" lightweight full tapered ordnance steel rifles and finished in a bright luster custom  blue complete with front sight and rear sight dovetail.  Note: .357 Barrel fits the 22/410--The gun functioning with the lower firing pin only.
Only $19.95

This ad raises a couple of obvious questions like WHICH models of 219/220 will they fit?   And does it confirm that some 94 barrels will fit some 220/219s?

I've always been a Numrich fan, especially when I lived close enough to West Hurley to go and "examine the merchandise."  But I've never seen this ad before.  It's from Feb, 1969 G&A, page 60.  Can't email you a pic, but will send a copy of the page by snail mail for you to peruse.

Hoping that the current Hurricane misses you!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Original source of 219/220 "carbine barrels"?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »
Mike, thanks for this info.  Please send a copy of the ad.  As to the hurricane, I am "High and Dry" hopefully.  I have one of these barrels and know of 3 others.  I believe them to be made by Savage.  The 4 I mention were originally 9 MM (Rim fire) Shot Shell chambered.  Mine was rifled and stamped under the Savage markings ".357".  yes, the barrel will fit a M24 O/U.  A friend has a M24 and my 9mm/.357 barrel fit perfectly, but.....the rear sight is so low, you cannot see it.  My barrel came on a M220 center fire action.  If the barrel was ever put on a 220 action, the 9 mm shell would not fire because the center fire pin would not hit the rim of the shot shell.  I believe if any were ever put on 220 actions, it was a special action with a Rim Fire firing pin.  Also, while the ad says "18 inches".....my barrel measures 17.75 inches.  That .25 inches on a shotgun barrel is worth 10 years and $10k according to the BATF.  I don't believe any of these barrels were ever put on a 220 action as 9 mm shot gun barrels, but were rifled and sold as a rifled replacement barrel.  No way to really prove....just my thoughts.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Original source of 219/220 "carbine barrels"?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:33:40 PM »
Within the past few days another of these 9mm/.357 barrels has been listed on EBay for sale.  This now makes 5 of these barrels I have seen or read about.  I believe at this time, these 9 mm rim fire barrels were never put on an action (in the original 9 mm rim fire caliber/gauge)  as all M219/220 Savage actions I have observed in about 10 years of research, have all been set up for center fire cartridges.