Author Topic: Happy New Year! Got a delayed Christmas present....  (Read 5182 times)

Mike Armstrong

Happy New Year! Got a delayed Christmas present....
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:09:22 PM »
I can't stand the silence, so figured I'd post the latest nonsense.  Just got back from a fun trip for two weeks in Costa Rica, a very nice place to visit. But I wouldn't want to live there, although many Americans do.  I prefer to visit Mexico, in general, but wouldn't want to live there either.

My "gift" was that somebody just left a full box of once-fired Remington .444 Marlin brass on the shooting bench at the range I was shooting on.  I've never owned a .444, and never will,  but have for many years used that brass to make up small game and pest loads for my several .410s.  And I was running out of free cases--thought I might actually have to BUY some (PERISH the thought!).  Now I don't.  I'll have some bunny loads for my end-of-season safari next month!  In a .410 barrel on my 219, of course!

Any body else got a "New Years Bonanza" to recount?  Anybody find a .32-20 219 yet?????

Happy New Years, in any case!

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Happy New Year! Got a delayed Christmas present....
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:07:38 PM »
HAPPY NEW YEAR ANYWAY, BUT NO!   I have not found a .32-20 and I just spent 2 weeks in Pennsylvania with my daughter visiting gun shops.  Maybe sometime this year! :-) :)

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »
Well, we DO "live in hope"!   And I hope you find a great .32-20!

I'm going on a gun/parts safari up the central Coast Range of CA after the quail/cottontail safari and hope I'll get lucky in the 219/220 area....  Only way to find 'em is to look a lot and and ask a lot!    I did find a full box of Savage Arms Corp. .25-20 HV 60 gr. hollow points last time I did a "safari."  Not a common item, and great trade bait.  Box is even very good.  (MAN was I ever tempted to shoot those up in my 219 and my 23B!!!!).

Good luck to all you fellow seekers in 2017!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »
Mike, I just re-read your last post and it reminded me that most gun shops that I have visited while looking for a M219 or M220, the clerks don't even know what they are.  I have to explain to them that they are "Hammerless" model single shots.  One "so-called" gunsmith I was talking with about "color casehardening" a 219 frame, told me he had lots of them already case hardened and he would sell me one of them cheaper that redoing mine.  He followed up saying "all Savage/Stevens single shot actions are the same!".  I'[ll just keep looking.  I'll be going back to Pennsylvania in May and maybe I will find one.

jaegerjp

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:03:30 AM »
I'm headed to Tulsa today for the Wannamaker - I will keep my eyes peeled for any Savage "stuff" - maybe I'll get lucky and find the elusive caliber!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »
Thanks!  And good luck!