Author Topic: Scope mount slipping  (Read 7057 times)

savagebrother

Scope mount slipping
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:28:01 PM »
Hey guys I think I found a mount that won't slip on the 30-30. It's for a game air rifle, fits 1" scopes
And fits 3/8's dovetails. As you can see it has 100% more grip surface. As you know air rifles are harder on scopes than centerfire rifles because of the double jerk of the spring action.
It's made of aluminum so it's not to heavy. It is tall though it's at the maximum height for me that I can see thru the scope without a cheek pad.
SB

Mike Armstrong

Re: Scope mount slipping
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
Great idea!  Thanks.

savagebrother

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:19:19 PM »
Cool, hope this helps anyone with a scope slippage problem. This particular mount actually has a steel screw in pin that goes in a hole in the magnum air rifles receiver to stop movement of the scope.
This was on my gamo Hunter extreme which drives an alloy pellet at 1350 FPS! And a heavy lead pellet (26.5grs) at over 900 FPS!!! So you could imagine the shock this rifle puts on a scope.
SB

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
savagebrother, Thanks for sharing this information with us!  Will you please share with us the name of the scope mount, cost, and where it can be purchased?  I was away since Thursday and that is why I am so late responding to your post.  I hope you will find information of interest to you on my web site and will share with us in the future.  Best wishes, Garnett

savagebrother

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
Here you go garnet, but you can look up about any air rifle supply on line and find these
SB
http://www.archerairguns.com/Leapers-Accushot-Medium-Profile-Integral-Mount-p/rgpm2pa-25m4.htm

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
Many thanks for sharing with us!  I have ordered one to test for myself. 

UP DATE 2-13-17....I ordered the mount for a total of $23.89 including USPS Priority mail shipping.  I ordered Thursday and received it Saturday.  It is very well made and finished.  It fits really tight on my rifle.  This may be the answer to slipping scope bases on these guns.  If anyone else buys one, please let me know the results of your shooting with it. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:31:59 AM by Garnett »

savagebrother

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
good good hope this helps everyone. 
i picked up an early 219 receiver with all its parts from GB for $119.00
it has no markings on it except for this symbol???

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
You have what I refer to as a 2nd Model Utica rifle, it has the slim trigger and an alloy trigger guard.  I have seen this "Arrow" proof mark on several guns, but I have not identified what it means.  I check GB daily and don't know how I missed seeing this one.  Congratulations.  It appears to be worth restoring.  What is the caliber?  Have you checked the assembly numbers to see if the barrel and receiver match?  Ebay has lots of used stocks and forearms for sale and Numrich Arms has new ones, but they are a bit pricey.  Most likely any complete forearm assembly will have to be fitted to this barreled action.  Good luck.  Thanks for sharing this with us!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:55:46 PM by Garnett »

savagebrother

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:08:16 PM »
Sorry Garnett, I had the barrel, all they were selling was the receiver.
The barrel is a 22 hornet and is a Utica barrel. The person I got it from said that it shot intermittently
After it was repaired??? I have found that even if a barrel fits good and tight to a receiver that the firing pin may not align properly to the barrel chamber. Making the firing pin hit on the side of the primer. Which is not good and probably why there's a high incident of breaking firing pins.
This barrel is off center just a little. I fired 5 primed cases and all fired with no problems.
I couldn't see where anything was done as far as a repair.
SB

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
SB, could have been a problem with the previous owners loads, etc.  The barrel being "off center" is a new problem.  No one else has mentioned something like that.  Are you going to try to correct this problem?  It could be some minor adjustment required.  Good luck with it.  I personally enjoy buying altered guns and restoring them to their "former glory".  :)  i have 3 such guns now. 

savagebrother

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 11:11:37 PM »
Well this barrel fits ok it's just a little off center to the firing pin. You can find this on all kinds of center fires. With the barrel mating up with receiver along the bottom and the face I could see where the alignment of the firing pin hole. Which is what I found with my 219B rifle in 30-30. When I put the 22 hornet barrel on it and put a snap cap in and fired it.  The firing pin hit the edge of the primer pocket in the snap cap. Now this barrel fits very tight to the 219 (older) receiver, it's a little hard to get it to release. This barrel is snug with the older receiver and the release lever has to be pushed all the way over thru to its max movement to get it to release. This could just be these 2 receivers too??
Yes I'm going to look for a stock and forearm for it.
SB