Author Topic: Has anybody ever tried?  (Read 2910 times)

Mike Armstrong

Has anybody ever tried?
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
Fitting a Savage 219 rifle barrel to a Stevens Model 94 shotgun action of the same period?  I've seen suggestions that this can be done, but never any proof Iike a picture of such a "hybrid").

One problem with this might be that the receiver materials of 94s and 219s may be of different steels, and that the shotgun has a softer, less durable action than the rifle.  Does anyone know if this is true?  ( It is true of more recent H&R/NEF single shots, but that doesn't necessarily carry over to Savage products from the 1940s and '50s).

Another is that the shotguns might have larger diameter firing pins than will work well with a rifle cartridge.  That can be a problem when interchanging 219 and 220 barrels; don't know if it would with the Savage/Stevens "hybrid."

If anybody has both a 219 and a 94, I'd sure appreciate it if you would try putting the rifle barrel onto the shotgun, just to see if it looks like it might fit, and let us know what you think.

Mike Armstrong

Re: Has anybody ever tried?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »
To answer my own question, a poster on the single barrel rifle forum of www.doublegunshop.com/BBS tells me that the 94 barrels are compatible with the 220 and 219 except that the forend attachment of the 94 is with a screw instead of the (BETTER) snap-on attachment of the 219/220.  So some work might have to be done to accommodate that.  He also mentions that you should "try before you buy" a 94 barrel for a 220 or 219.  All he's tried fitted fairly easily, but some might not.   Now if I can just find one to try....

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Has anybody ever tried?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 10:15:40 PM »
Mike, I am way late seeing this post.  I had thought the 94 barrels might fit, but did not know for sure.  Thanks for sharing.