Author Topic: 220B Savage shotgun  (Read 3929 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
220B Savage shotgun
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »
I found a really nice 220B at the Birmingham (Alabama) gun show this past weekend.  I would say about 90% finish with bright case colors.  It is 20 gauge.  The owner says the firing pin is broken.  I have several pins at home, so no problem.  He sold it to me for $85.  I consider that a great buy.  Since I was buying "Price & Condition". I did not pay attention, thinking it was a 12, I was surprised to find it was a 20.  The assembly numbers match, but I noticed there are no serrations on top of the chamber area of the barrel.  I don't think this is normal, and will have to compare to my other 220B guns when I get home later this week.   

Well, as usual, I spoke before I should have.  I looked through all my parts today, and don't have a firing pin! :(  Neither does Numrich or Ebay! :(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:58:47 PM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

Re: 220B Savage shotgun
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »
I've long thought it would pay some small machine shop to make a run of the various types of 220/219 firing pins, preferably out of some durable steel or other alloy.  I bet the big parts houses would scarf them up.

How many types of firing pins are there--do they vary a lot from model to model?

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
Mike, supposedly there are 2 types of "strikers" and 2 types of "firing pins".  The strikers are in the early models, through the 219/220A.  Starting with the "B" suffix 219/220, the action was changed to a hammer & firing pin arrangement.  In both strikers and firing pins, according to factory information, the rifle was smaller than the shotgun striker/firing pin.  So far, that makes since.....but.....what about the "Utility" guns with both a rifle and shotgun barrel?  I have 3 genuine "Utility" guns.  One has a small thin striker/pin, the other two are large.  So.....?????????  As I have said before....who know???  I agree, about a machinist making small parts like this.  I think Numrich and Sarco do this from time to time.  I was able to get a firing pin for my 220B.  While looking, I also ordered one for the 219B and later guns.  Both these pins are on page 51 of the revised edition of my book.  I have a machinist friend who makes all small parts for Japanese rifles and pistols.  His service is in great demand.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
Surawrut,   Are you saying you have a Model 220B for sale?  If you do, please post it under the "Buy, Sell, or Trade" section and give a description of it and post pictures if possible, or  tell where it can be viewed "off line".