Author Topic: Hello, Savage Lovers. Have 1 220 22-shot I'd like to learn more about....  (Read 2479 times)

cjkostic

Greetings.  I have this Model 220 in 22-shot I'd like to gather info about.  Any help is appreciated. 

Chuck K. in Wiscsonsin

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Hello, Savage Lovers. Have 1 220 22-shot I'd like to learn more about....
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »
First, let me welcome you to this forum!  You have a rare gun!  I have one in my collection and have talked to one other person who has one.  I go into detail about it in my book, but generally it is thought that these guns were made to fill a U.S. Army Air Corp contract during WWII.  Supposedly they were used to shoot birds inside aircraft hangers.  They may be found with the "U.S." and "Ordnance Bomb" marking.  After about 11 years of research, I believe they were of limited production, and any found without the "U.S." markings were of a contract over run and sold on the civilian market.  This is a personal opinion as I have found no proof of this.  Is your gun "U.S." marked?  In looking at your picture, you have what I describe as a First Model Utica gun, made with a slim trigger and a steel gracefully curved and tapered (to the rear) trigger guard.  You can determine if your gun is original or if the barrel has been added to another gun by checking the assembly letters/numbers.  They will be stamped under the barrel in front of the lug, on the inside, left top rail of the action, and under the butte plate stamped in the wood.  They may not be exactly the same in all 3 places but close enough to determine that they do go together.  This statement may be confusing, but after you examine several you will get the idea.  Thanks for sharing your gun with us!  Best wishes, Garnett

cjkostic

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, Garnett.  I took the forend off and found found matching numbers and letters on the barrel and frame.  Unfortunately, I cannot examine under the buttplate as the stock was shortened by the owner so his young kids could shoot it.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
It is a shame that the stock has been shortened!  However, you still have a rare gun!  I have a 28 gauge M220, in perfect condition, except for a shortened stock.  Good early stocks are available on E-Bay and Gun Broker from time to time.  The biggest problem will be getting one close enough to the color of your forearm.  Good luck, and thanks for sharing your gun with us!