Author Topic: Got the 219B back from the 'smith with new bore and caliber  (Read 2552 times)

Mike Armstrong

Got the 219B back from the 'smith with new bore and caliber
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
I posted earlier about a 219B .22 Hornet that I bought from a poster on this board which had been rechambered to .22-30-30 AI.  I sent it to an Indiana gunsmith to have it relined to .25-20, a cartridge I've always loved and used and reloaded (.22 Hornet reline wasn't feasible with that huge chamber).

Got it back about a month ago (about the same time my computer hard drive died on me....).  Reline was very competent--you can't tell it was relined except if you dropped a .22 Hornet into the chamber, it would disappear.  The reline job was done quickly once we got a liner--about a month later I got the barrel back with the .25-20 extractor I had supplied fitted to it.

FINALLY got it to a range of sorts--back lot of a friend's place in the hills north of LA.  The big public ranges up there have been closed because of Red Flag fire danger alerts.   But he's only got a little place and the longest decent shot I could get was right at 70 yards.  Fired 5 3-shot groups at that range, three of my handloads with 87 gr. hard lead flatnoses and two with factory W-W jacketed 86 gr softpoints.  The average of the handloads was just over an inch and the W-Ws were right around 1 1/2".  This was with a new bore that had only been well-cleaned and then had a light smoothing with JB Bore Paste.  The scope is a Leupold 2.5X Ultralight and I was shooting from a picnic table with the rifle held in my hands with my elbows on the table.

Think I can do better with a more stable rest and once I get my cataracts removed and don't need bifocals, but was satisfied with the results--I could hit a jackrabbit from a sitting position at that range every shot and a coyote at 100 yards or more.  .25-20s weren't made to shoot a country mile....  The trigger on this rifle could also use some smoothing.

I think it's a keeper, especially with its fitted 12 guage barrel and forend.  I cut the oversized pistol grip cover off and reshaped the grip into a "half pistol grip," and glassed the head of the stock to stop any cracking when using 12 guage shotshells.  The .25-20 has no felt recoil at all.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Got the 219B back from the 'smith with new bore and caliber
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »
Mike, thanks for sharing this up date with us.