Author Topic: Version compatability  (Read 2561 times)

Sentry44

Version compatability
« on: April 11, 2018, 05:15:42 PM »
Hi Garnett, or anyone who can chime in...

Im wondering about generational compatability.  Do 219 C barrels work on a first generation frame?

How about vice versa?

Sentry

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Version compatability
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
Sentry, Yes the 219C barrels will work on the early "Striker" fired models because these models are cocked when the top lever is moved to the right to open the action.  The "C" barrel has the cocking stud on the barrel lug for "B" and later models with "firing pins".  This stud can be easily removed as it is not needed if you install on an early action.  The main concern is will a particular "B", "C" or later barrel actually fit the action you are putting it on, or will it have to be fitted by a gunsmith.   On the "B" and later actions, the top lever only opens the action by moving to the left or the right and the cocking stud on the barrel lug engages  a cocking lever inside the action that actually cocks the internal hammer.  For this reason, the early "striker fired" action barrels will fit, but will not cock the internal hammer.   I have had good luck fitting extra barrels.  I have purchased 4.  Two of them fit perfectly on the particular action I wanted them on.  However, with the other two, I had to try them on several actions before I found one they would fit without taking to my gunsmith.  If you have any other questions about this don't hesitate to contact me.  I hope this info helps.  Best wishes, Garnett

Sentry44

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »
Thx for the response , Garnett.  If I read you right, from a purely "functional" standpoint, later barrels should work on early actions.  But the caveat is that all frame are individuals, so in practice a given barrel may not actually "fit" a given frame.

But it's a different story with trying to use early barrels on later frames, because they won't trip the cocking mechanism correctly?

If all that is correct, then I'm clear.  And thank you.

Sentry

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
Yes, that is correct.  While all frames are the same outwardly, i.e., a 12 gauge barrel will fit the same frame as a .410, there are very minor differences with barrels and frames so that they might not mate perfectly.  I have recently been in contract with a person who had a .22 Hornet barrel and purchased a M219 in .30-30.  He said the Hornet barrel fit perfectly!