Author Topic: Help Needed for Patent Information  (Read 2530 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
Help Needed for Patent Information
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
I have tried in vain to find the U.S. Patent for the model 219 and 220 Savage Single Shot Hammerless rifle and shotgun.  I have found other patents for Savage items.  I have written to Savage Arms asking the patent number so I could look it up on the US Patent web site to request copies.  They did not even answer my letter.  I would really like to have a copy of the patent drawings to add to my book. Can any one help?

Mike Armstrong

Re: Help Needed for Patent Information
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »
Garnett, I understand your interest in having those drawings--apart from the historical interest, they are often elegant depictions of the mechanisms,  sometimes very different looking from the actual finished product.

Only things I can suggest are: 1)  Looking for similar patents held by the J. Stevens Tool Company bought by Savage in the 1920s (Stevens made hammerless single shot shotguns--Model 180--and Savage may have used patents it acquired with the purchase), and 2) asking on the website www.doublegunshop.com/BBS, which is a site specifically for double barrel enthusiasts, but has a lot of very knowledgeable engineers and patent attorneys that read and contribute.  They are also a very welcoming bunch, for the most part, and have discussed patents of various guns in the past.  You would have to register on the site (free) and preface your request with an "OT" as in "Off Track" to let members know you are introducing a topic that's a little bit different than the usual (there are many OT questions asked).  The BBS has a "custom and single barrel rifles" subforum that has also discussed the 219 at times.

Another possibility is that no new patents were introduced for the 219/220--Savage just used patents it had already acquired for break-action shotguns like the 5100 or earlier models, since the mechanisms are similar.

Hope you can find some blueprints for your book!

Respectfully,

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
Mike, thanks for your input! 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »
Since my last post I have written to Savage Arms asking for the patent number.  I got a nice letter referring me to the Savage Museum.  I sent this letter along with the $35 payment for information requesting the patent numbers.  This was last November.  No answer, but they have not cashed my check.  Very frustrating.