Author Topic: Different Sizes of Forend Heads  (Read 3593 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
Different Sizes of Forend Heads
« on: August 27, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
I was fitting a new semi-inletted forearm (Savage M1899 Schnabel style) to an existing M219 rifle that I have assembled from parts.  I got the inletting done, the metal attached, and when I put it on the gun, while it locked up tight, it was a terrible fit with a large gap between the forend head and the front of the receiver.  I did some research and discovered that Numrich offers 7 forend heads.  3 for the M219/220 and 3 for the M219/220 "B" suffix models, and one plastic substitute for all previous ones.  The only ones in stock are a "Nickel" plated model and the late plastic one.  Everyone is a difference size with a different part number.  I wound up having to use a very late plastic one, not listed for the M219/220, that came with a group of internal parts.  It was the smallest of all 6 and fit nicely.  Just a heads up, if you need this part for one of your guns, it may be a "trial & error" process to get the correct one.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 11:03:11 AM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

Re: Different Sizes of Forend Heads
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »
I've put together guns from parts and also added barrels to complete guns.  Sometimes finding the "forend iron" (which by my amateur nomenclature includeds the "forend head") is the hardest part of the parts hunt.

I wish I knew which Stevens single shot shotguns shared these parts with which 220s, but I've never found a reliable source for that info.  It would be handy to know because there are a LOT more Stevens Model 94s out there than Savage 220s for any given time period! 

When I lived in upstate NYS I could drive down to Numrich's and pester them until I got a match.  Wish I had taken notes when I was there so I could answer my own question about 94/220 parts interchangeability!  But of course I was in a hurry....

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »
Mike, I was really surprised at my findings, after having this problem, and doing some research.  After completing my search, I have added two pages with pictures to my book, that will appear in later printings, sometime in the future.  I only had 3 of these parts in my inventory, two early and one late.  None of them worked, so luckily had this this new complete forearm assembly from Numrich, supposedly for a M220 in 20 gauge.  The wood is stained hardwood, NOT walnut.   I really don't like putting a plastic part on my rifle! 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »
I solved my problem.  I took my smallest steel forend head and had my gun smith/machinist fit it to the receiver of the gun I built for my daughter.  I just could not leave that plastic on the gun since I was going to have it engraved for her.