Author Topic: Reloading 12 Gauge for the M220 Single Shot  (Read 2207 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
Reloading 12 Gauge for the M220 Single Shot
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:51:30 PM »
Below is a question from a friend:

One question I had was what type of loads should be used for them, but in particular the shotgun?  Will any low brass shell in 1 1/8 oz be fine or should I consider a lower weight like those found at RST?

Does anyone have an opinion about what loads to shoot in a 12 gauge M220 single shot?  How about the .30-30 and .22 Hornet?  Thanks for any help. All I have ever shot in my rifles are factory loads and I have not shot any of my shoguns.   Garnett

Mike Armstrong

Re: Reloading 12 Gauge for the M220 Single Shot
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:28 PM »
Of course the load used will differ with the use and the user's tolerance for recoil, which is significant in ANY single shot 12, even the fancy trap models.

I can tolerate a lot of shooting (say three rounds of trap) the "low recoil" 2 3/4" 1 0z. loads.   For hunting, I use so-called "heavy trap" loads, which are 1 1/8 Oz. low brass, the equivalent of older 16 guage high brass loads.  Needless to say, you don't shoot as much in hunting situations (except doves and ducks, which I don't hunt) and adrenaline is an excellent pain killer--I just don't feel recoil when shooting at game (well, I feel it the next morning.....).

High brass 12 guage, 1 1/4 Oz. and "short magnum" 1 3/8 Oz. shells I would stay away from with single shots unless you are especially recoil tolerant.  A flinch won't help your marksmanship, even with a shotgun.

Unless you need a short stocked gun, I would also invest in a pullover recoil pad (I use the "Limbsaver" series, but have seen some neat leather-covered ones for a bunch more bucks).  I have long arms and neck and need more "pull" than Savage provides anyway.

Buckshot and especially deer slugs kick like heck in single 12s.  Sighting in slugs will induce a flinch in most people, no matter what they tell you.  I would avoid them; get a deer gun with sights (they kick too, but at least CAN be sighted in!).

If you are thinking of using a 220 12 for defense, I'd look for some "low recoil" buckshot, such as that sold by Cabella's and others, or get some of the 1 1/2" "mini-shells" made by Aguila in Mexico, a Remington/du Pont subsidiary.  At close range, they work fine and the recoil is light enough  for a practice session that will leave your dentures in place.  A 220 isn't anybodies idea of an ideal home defense weapon, but it beats the heck out of a dustmop!  Even one 12 guage tube pointed at your belt buckle looks like the subway to Hell.  Don't ask me how I know that.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:48:33 PM »
Mike, Thanks for your input.  I will pass this on to my friend.

Falinsky

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:58:34 PM »
Mike, that was an incredibly funny and thoughtful reply, thanks. No, not looking for any home defense uses, just a few birds in the field with my trusty four legged companion. I thought maybe light rounds were best for an old gun, but it doesn’t seem to matter much from your response. At least not from the guns point of view. It also sounds like you have a few more stories than just the one about a barrel pointed at a belt buckle. You never did mention who was doing the wearing and who was doing the pointing. Wise man.

Cleetus

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:13 PM »
From my experience the good old standard pidgeon load of 1 1/4 oz. at 1220 FPS works ideal in a 12 ga. Model 220. My memory says 3 1/2 drams equivalent. I will check that. The model 220 does not have the old fashioned drop in the stock dimensions that some singles had and are quite pleasant to shoot with field loads. My body likes a leather pad extension with a neoprene liner to give a bit over a quarter inch extra length that makes these guns deadly. I shot a box of 1 1/4 7 1/2s at clays earlier this fall and quit when I missed the last one. Which for me is a world record. I have never found recoil a problem with these guns in any gauge. Just make sure the draw bolt for the butt stock is tight so you don't crack the head of the stock. Older guns that have shrunk slightly in the wood need to be checked and all will be good. Happy hunting. P.S. My best average on upland birds last year was using a Utica 28 gauge 220. These guns just fit me and that is what matters most in shotgunning.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:24:25 PM »
I have had two other people mention the importance of the stock bolt being tight to help prevent cracking.  I recently purchased a M220 and in the process of disassembly for cleaning, discovered the stock bolt was loose.  Thankfully, the stock was not cracked.