Author Topic: Information on 12Gauge barrel.  (Read 2424 times)

CDSUSMC

Information on 12Gauge barrel.
« on: March 21, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »
Say all, just starting my collection and so glad that there is a place such as savagesingleshot. I have been drawn towards the old and obscure weapons, trying to understand the process that gave them life. I have purchased a 32 inch 12 gauge shotgun barrel that appears to be made for the 220A receive. There are no markings anywhere but  on the bottom between the lock for the forarm and the lock for the receiver. I will post photos. Also there is , what looks like a swivel attached and was wondering if it is factory installed? Last when I was hunting around shopping I came across a barrel for the Savage 94 shotgun and mechanically seems to be identical. Are thay interchangeable, the Savage 94 and the the 220?  Thanks to any and all for your time.
Chris

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Information on 12Gauge barrel.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »
Chris, I have carefully examined your pictures.  The swivel attached to this barrel is completely different from the Savage swivel I have on my gun, and also listed as available in the Savage catalogs.  Also, I do not believe this barrel is for the Savage Model 220 nor the 94.  Please note that the barrel lug is very different from the Savage lugs and also the "European" style markings on the barrel.  Two "shields" and "KG" for kilogram.  Of course, it could have been sold to a foreign country and proofed by them and later returned to the U.S.  Please let us know if it will fit a M220 action.  Best wishes, Garnett

CDSUSMC

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:20:52 PM »
You get what you pay for I guess. Thanks for the quick response by the way, much appreciated. I will try it on a 220A receiver and let you and the rest know the outcome. Enjoy your day.
Chris

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »
Surely a European manufactured barrel--the 12/70 marking is their shorthand for 12 guage/70mm chamber (roughly 2 3/4")  I don't see a national proof that I recognize, but that doesn't mean there isn't one there someplace.

If you really want to know who manufactured this barrel and where, I'd say your best bet would be to ask on www.doublegunshop.com/bbs.  Be sure to mark your post title "OT" since this is a site specifically for double shotgun nuts.  But they will very likely be interested in solving your barrel mystery, and some of them know European stuff inside and out.  (Everybody loves a mystery, especially us gun nuts....).

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
Mike, Thanks for your input.  Garnett

CDSUSMC

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
Thank you Mr Mike. Your input is appreciated as always.
 Chris