Author Topic: Butt plate question.  (Read 2105 times)

CDSUSMC

Butt plate question.
« on: May 18, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
Picked up a 220 Savage  16 Gauge being sold as a parts gun for $50. The butt plate was well fitted to the stock and didn't look to be added on later. Have never run across one such as this and was wondering if anyone could identify it as maybe come off of another Savage product?  I have included a photo a long with a shot of the receiver. The receiver was rusted, but not pitted so I'm in the process of cleaning it up for a re- bluing. The three in the circle is the only marking on it. Last the hardware assembly of the front arm is like no other, seems to work fine, but is it a "real" 220 Savage part? Thank you all for letting me air my questions, with time and a new book I have on order there should be less.

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Butt plate question.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »
You have what I call a "Second Model Utica" action.  Slim trigger and alloy trigger guard.  The forearm iron is correct for both "First and Second" model Utica guns.  It is a milled part and much more sturdy than the later stamped parts.  I go into details on these parts starting on page 211 of the Revised Edition of my book in May of 2017.  The "3 in a circle" is for an unknown inspector.  Now, to the butt plate....What is the length of pull for the stock?  Also, check the wood under the butt plate to see if you can find letters and/or numbers stamped in the wood that match letters or numbers stamped inside the top left rail of the receiver.  Similar numbers will also be on the barrel in front of the lug.  All 3 locations should match closely.  If these letters/numbers on the wood match, then the stock has not been cut.  It should be 14 inches LOP.  While not listed in any Savage catalog from 1937 to 1967 (that I have in my inventory) as a special order feature, this is the 3rd such style butt plate that I have found on the M219/220 Savages in the past 5 weeks.  It could be that a customer requested this butt plate instead of the normal hard rubber standard plate.  You got a very good buy!  Please send pictures when you finish redoing the gun.  Thanks for sharing!

Cleetus

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
Utica guns tended to have slot head screws of different size than the 220a. Garnett would know when they switched to Phillips.

CDSUSMC

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 03:06:05 PM »
Thanks all,  my new book was in the mail today! Truly appreciate the feedback.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 03:22:16 PM »
As well as I can tell, the Phillips head screws started with the "B" suffix models, but one reader sent a picture of a very late safety latch spring on a very early gun. Things like this are what makes these two model guns interesting!