Author Topic: Refinish or not  (Read 12185 times)

Alfred Nesbitt

Refinish or not
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »
What do you think Garnet?  Should a man Refinish and Reblue some of these things or not?  I kind of like seeing them in like new condition...

Al Nesbitt

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Refinish or not
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:30:32 PM »
Al, in almost all instances, I am against reblue/finishing a gun.  My feeling is that if you have an average M220 12 gauge shotgun that you paid $150 for and you spend $100 for a good reblue, you have a gun now worth about $100.  Just my opinion.  I do know people who refinish their guns.  In fact, in my younger years, age 20 or so, I had a Stevens "Little Scout" No. 14 1/2 reblued.  It is very pretty.  But I destroyed the collector value.  It is really a matter of personal taste.  Then another way to look at it, if the gun is rusty, but not deeply pitted, and no longer a collector piece anyway, then if the money is available, why not?  I will say that the Stevens (my first gun) is the only gun in my collection that has been reblued and the only reason I would now purchase a reblued gun is if it was a very rare and hard to find model, and the first I had ever seen.  I have a friend who buys and sells all the time.  He is quick to point out to the owner (who wants to trade a gun for one of my friend's guns) if a gun has been reblued, and reduces the price accordingly as to what he is willing to pay.  However, this same friend does not have any reblued guns......his are all "Professionally restored"!  ;) 

Alfred Nesbitt

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:52:37 AM »
Define "Professionally Restored" please....

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
If it was my gun or yours, it would be "Reblued", but since it is his.....it is "Professionally Restored"....and therefore to him...
worth much more money.  :D

Alfred Nesbitt

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »
I understand Sir...Thank You for clarifying that ::) ::)

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
I am old, and it takes me a while......I made the statement that I did not have any reblued guns, implying that I did not have them reblued.  I remembered today, that my Grade 4 Ithica Trap Gun has been reblued.  At one time it was a truly fine gun, but was abused over the years.  I bought it and 4 other "junker"guns for $200 about 15 years ago.  It was missing parts, the floor plate would not fit properly, the butt plate was missing, and the barrel had been cut.  At some point in time it had been reblued and who ever did the work really messed it up.  Now the barrel is a cloudy blue.  Having said that, yes, at some point in time I most likely will have the barrel properly reblued.  It can't hurt the value now and it will greatly improve the looks.  Due to two friends of mine who are excellent machinest gunsmiths, the gun is in very presentable condition, and I have shot clays with it.  One friend installed an "Old English" black solid recoil pad, lengthened the chamber to 2.75 inches,  replaced the missing internal parts, and installed a "full" screw in choke.  The other friend fixed the floor plate so it fits properly.  Now except for the funny colored barrel it is a very nice looking gun with beautiful fancy wood.  So, yes, in some instances, I would reblue a gun.  However, remember, my gun, once the barrel is blued, is now "Professionally Restored"   :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:16:12 PM by Garnett »

t4halo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:48 PM »
I lime it when I find one of these guns where the stock has had a recoil pad or sling studs added or has loss of blueing.  Just means I'll worry less when hunting with it.  I have a few that are very nice that I shoot occasionally but am very careful when I take them afield.

Tony
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:15:03 PM by Garnett »
Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
Tony, in my research, I have found that some of the M220 shotguns have factory installed recoil pads and sling swivels.  Also, as I mentioned earlier, I am old....... and not familiar with the term "lime" it.  Can you explain?  Best wishes, Garnett

t4halo

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
fat finger typing..."like"
Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
Dumb me!  :)

Breaker

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:47:21 AM »
It is always saddening to see a superannuated woman with her mouth smeared over with bright-red lipstick. Seeking a fool. Same goes for a man with a dye-job.

I have never had a gun reblued. And I do not think that I ever will. Once a gun has served so long that its finish is worn off, it deserves to be graduated to emeritus status. That does not mean that it is utterly useless, it just means that it ought to be treated with proper respect, given its age.

Let old things show their age.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I'm with breaker on this--unless a gun has active rust with deep pits, I leave it alone. 

If it does have deep rust, is not rare or with historical value, and is to be used mainly as a shooter, then I might have it re-polished and reblued.  Otherwise just keep it dry and lubed and love it.  A gun should show some of its history, since it can't tell it. 

(Wish they could TELL it too, but sometimes all you have for history is the dents, dings, and wear).

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 11:36:14 AM »
Again, I agree.  The only reason I may have the barrel on my Grade 4 Ithaca reblued is because someone in the past did a horrible job of a reblue and it greatly takes away from the looks of the gun now.

UPDATE 10-13-19.....  I recently had the barrel reblued and it looks much better than before!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:34:44 AM by Garnett »