Author Topic: M220 shotgun stock repair?  (Read 5674 times)

1tothe6

M220 shotgun stock repair?
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:39:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else with an m220 shotgun is/was having trouble with the butt stock cracking where it meets the receiver? On my 220, The cracks originate at this location and then have continued to the cutout for the tang safety.  I have repaired the cracks now twice with a good quality glue and clamps.  I've also installed a recoil pad thinking that may cushion some of the recoil and alleviate some pressure at this point. Any suggestions or just plain comments on this would great. Thanks!

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: M220 shotgun stock repair?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »
This is a common problem with all M219 & M220 stocks.  Where the stock meets the action is a weak point.  I suggest using fiberglass to make the repairs as opposed to a glue.  Also, add a very thin coat of the fiberglass to the inside of the wood where it meets the action for added strength.  Before I would shoot one of these models that did not already have cracks, I would glass bed as a precaution.  I don't really think adding a recoil pad would help.  I have one M220 shotgun that was custom stocked by someone else and they left the wood at the action point much thicker than the factory stock.  I have a picture of this stock on page 94 of my book showing the thicker stock.  Good luck with your repairs!

Update, 12-12-16....Since responding to this I purchased a M220 action and stock only.  The stock was badly cracked and an even worse repair had been done to it.  Who ever made the repair (I think his name is Bubba) not only did a poor job of gluing the crack, but also installed a large flat head wood screw vertically from the bottom of the stock.  This repair had come loose.  I removed all the old glue and the screw.  Re glued with Epoxy and as above, spread a thin layer on the inside of both walls.  Then after I filled the large hole where the wood screw was with walnut dust and Epoxy, I carefully drilled a small hole vertically from the bottom and glued in place a slightly smaller (than the new hole) steel pin.  I then covered the head of the pin with walnut dust and Epoxy, sanded to match the contour of the stock and it is hardly noticeable.  I suggest again, that anyone who installs a semi-inleted stock to one of these actions that you leave the wood much thicker at the stock/action contact point. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:23:24 PM by Garnett »

1tothe6

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
Thanks so much for the comments, I'll look I to this. I also have another observation/question: I notice that my m200 action and barrel lock up as tight as can be, but that the "release lever" is a little loose and has some play when the firearm is closed. When the action is open, the "opening lever" seems tight and has no play. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you tried to remedy the situation? Hope this made sense, I know I'm probably not being technical with all the terms for the firearm.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
I am sorry, I cannot help you with this.  In the writing of my book, I have purchased 29 M219 & M220s.  One or two may have a loose lever as you describle, but I have done nothing to have tightened.  I would think that as long as the barrel locks tightly to the action, other than not being like we think it should, a little looseness in the lever is o.k. Hopefully some one else will be able to help.  Joe Summit is on this forum at times, and works on his guns.  You might try directing the question to him. 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 07:21:43 PM »
Thanks so much for the comments, I'll look I to this. I also have another observation/question: I notice that my m200 action and barrel lock up as tight as can be, but that the "release lever" is a little loose and has some play when the firearm is closed. When the action is open, the "opening lever" seems tight and has no play. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you tried to remedy the situation? Hope this made sense, I know I'm probably not being technical with all the terms for the firearm.
   I have a M220 in like new condition, but the top lever is loose like you describe and when the action is open the lever is tight.  I had noticed it in the past, but thought nothing of it until you mentioned it.  I am not going to do anything about it as of now.  Lets see if someone else has a similar problem and a remedy for it.