Author Topic: another 30-30  (Read 7422 times)

t4halo

another 30-30
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
I posted this on Savage Shooters and thought I would share here.  I have a 30-30 and 22h along with a 12,16,20,28 and 410.  I also have a couple of other shotgun barrels sitting around as well.  I stumbled accross another 30-30 that was scope grooved and the price was right so I jumped on it.  I run a Northern Michigan deer camp and will be hunting with the scoped 219b.  I mounted one my old Lyman 4x scopes grabbed a cheap box of PPUs and headed to my buddies place for zeroing.  There were 4 of us shooting and all 3 of the other guys were truly amazed on how light weight and accurate the little Savage was.  At 100 yards from the prone it shot a true 3/4 of an inch group.  Now the other fellows all want one....haha. 

Glad I found this site and I just ordered the book.  I hunt Grouse and Woodcock with my 220b in 28ga.  I have single shot issues.

Tony
7th & 10th SF retired
Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: another 30-30
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
Tony, thanks for your input and also for your purchase of my book.  I will get it in the mail today.  Should you decide to put a scope on the grooved barrel, please let me know if you have any problem with the recoil loosening the scope blocks.  I have never fired one myself so your information will be a help if I ever get enough new data to have a revised edition of my book.  Best wishes, Garnett

t4halo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
Garnett, Both the 30-30 and the 22H with scope grooves have scopes mounted.  After over 100 rounds the 22H is maintaining zero and the 30-30 is doing fine after 25.  I would think the 30-30 will be the hardest on the scope so I'll keep my eye on it and let you know how it does.

Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
Tony, thanks for this additional information.  It is helpful to my research.  Best wishes, Garnett

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 10:36:31 PM »
Tony, i just had another thought.....do you load your own ammo?  years ago when i did a lot of loading i discovered that i needed to "fit the load to the gun".  i always tried several loads and bullet weights until i got the one that shot best in that rifle or pistol.  if you reload, you understand what i am saying.  some of the younger folks who have not tried reloading might experiment for themselves.  Best wishes, Garnett

t4halo

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »
Garnett, I do reload but am waiting to get a mold for 30 cal rounds.  I bet the little Savage would really like cast bullets.. 

I have something that might be interesting to you.  My 28ga has a shorter lop than any other 220 I own and it appears to be factory.  It almost looks like it was special ordered for a youth.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Got the book today and have read about 30 pages..  very interesting stuff.  Great work.

Tony
Tony
7th & 10th SF retired

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
Tony, Thanks for your input.  I would like to see a picture.  Also, if you will remove the butt plate and look to see if the assembly numbers in front of the barrel lug and inside the top left frame wall are stamped in the wood there, it would be a good indication that it is original factrory lop.  I look forward to your pictures.  Best wishes, Garnett

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »
Tony, after reading your first post on this thread, I have a comment on "single shot issues." 

Having hunted birds and small game a lot in the forested East, I finally decided that out there anything other than a single shot was basically just extra cost, extra weight, extra wasted ammo, and "keepin' up with the Joneses"!  With ruffed grouse and woodcock, you usually only get one practical shot.  I carried a double for many years and can't remember a single time when I missed with the first barrel and connected with the second. 

Now, I'm NOT the world's best wingshot.  But I think the problem--especially with ruffed grouse and woodcock-- is that what you get is ONE feasible shot, and often not even that.   The second is usually just a "Hail Mary," or "sprayin' and prayin".   Trims the woods a little but nothing else.

So why carry two barrels?  I finally started carrying just my 20 guage 220SC (with the Savage Choke opened wide open)  and left the doubles home for clays and hunting out-of-state for pheasants, huns, and quail, where the second shot is useful.  My score on grouse and woodcock didn't change, and the only time I ever wished for a double was when I bumped a creek or beaver pond to see if there were any ducks in it.  Since most such places are frozen solid most of the upland season, that was only a marginal sacrifice.  And I sure liked the light weight of that 220 compared even to my double Beretta 20!  And because it is hammerless and has a tang safety, you can switch freely between a 220 and a single trigger double without any confusion or transition.

My only regret about the 220 is that they don't make 'em any more!  I think your "issues" are actually "virtues."

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 01:49:11 PM »
Mike, I am not a hunter so I really have no experience with your post.  However, I have long felt that a single shot was enough gun to carry as it should make you be more sure of your shot. The M219/220 Savages are a slim, light weight, and very pleasing to look at gun.  I also feel if you miss the first shot.....you don't really deserve a second shot at the same critter. :-)   As an example....I was fortunate many years ago to hunt with an older friend at work.  All I had was a Parker double.  He had a Browning 5 shot auto.  If we flushed a covey of quail, I shot once, maybe twice if a second bird was close, but he emptied his gun every time.  I think we had a law limiting magazine capacity, but not sure his gun had the wooden plug. :-(  I don't object to hunting, but as long as Winn-Dixie has a meat and fish market, I won't be hunting my own! :-)