Author Topic: 22 Hornet, need sights  (Read 3118 times)

sghart3578

22 Hornet, need sights
« on: August 16, 2020, 09:36:35 PM »
Hello friends.  I am the new owner of a 219 chambered in 22 Hornet.  It was an impulse buy and I think I did alright.

I like old Savages.  I already own a model 1899 in 300 Savage.  To me the 219 shares similar lines.

It is still in the DROS stage at my FFL.  But my FFL also operates an indoor range.  Their policy is if you are DROS'ing a gun with them you can get your gun out and shoot it at the indoor range then return it when you are done.  Great people also.

The rifle came with an inexpensive 3/4" rimfire scope.  It also came with almost 500 rounds of ammo.  With the Winchester ammo it is shooting one hole at 25 yards, the farthest the indoor range goes.

The only down side is the rifle is missing the front and rear sights.  The front has two threaded holes and the rear is dovetailed.  I removed the scope and I would dearly love to install a front sight.  Can you fellas please steer me to a source?

When I get it home this weekend I will post some photos of it.  In the mean time I will get aquainted with the topics and threads on this forum.

And thanks for allowing me to join.

Best of luck,

Steve in N CA

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 22 Hornet, need sights
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
Steve, Check Ebay.  Look under "219 Savage parts".  While there is no front or rear sight listed today,  I check them daily for parts and they do have them from time to time.  The front sight is a ramp with a gold bead.  The rear sights were milled elevator type for early guns, and stamped elevator sights for later models.  There are 4 different M219 rifles.  First Model Utica, Second Model Utica, M219B and M219C.  The most desirable to me is the First Model Utica.  Maybe someone on the forum will have a set of original sights.  I also checked Gun Broker and Numrich Arms.  None are available at either place.  Good luck on your hunt.  I look forward to your pictures.   Please click on pictures below to enlarge.

Exchipy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »
Steve,

I got my new 219 front sight from Numrich a few years ago, but they presently show out of stock.  I believe I still have the previous sight in my “parts bin.”  It looks to have been altered by brazing - perfectly functional, but ugly as sin.  I have no use for it, but it could get you operational.  I would be happy to donate it to you, if Garnett could arrange a link-up. 

For a rear sight, I suggest either a Lyman or Marbles folding leaf.  I have the Marbles on my 219 (photos previously posted).  But, if you prefer a reproduction of the original rear sight, Numrich appears to have that available.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:31:07 PM by Exchipy »

sghart3578

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 05:11:17 PM »
That's very generous of you.  I will take you up on it!  Thank you for the suggestion for the rear sight also. 

Steve in N CA

Exchipy

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »

Steve,

I apologize to you, sir.  I am embarrassed to admit that my search has not come up with that old front sight.  Guess it was so ugly even I didn’t keep it, and I keep most everything.  I am sorry.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 05:40:46 PM »
I am looking daily on the internet.  Maybe one will turn up. 

sghart3578

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »

Steve,

I apologize to you, sir.  I am embarrassed to admit that my search has not come up with that old front sight.  Guess it was so ugly even I didn’t keep it, and I keep most everything.  I am sorry.

Please don't sweat it.  It's the thought that counts and that was a very generous gesture on your part.

Steve in N CA

sghart3578

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
Hello friends,

I may have found a front sight for my 219.  Could someone please tell me the stock sight height measured from the barrel to the top of the sight?  Mine is a Utica built rifle if that helps.

Thank you in advance,

Steve in N CA

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
Steve, The only 219 I have at home right now apparently the front sight was put on using Lok-tite.  I cannot get the screws out.  As best as I can tell with the sight on the barrel is that it measures .381 inches from the barrel to the top of the blade.  I have put long ramp commercial after market front sights on two of my rifles.  They have two screw holes and one lines up prefect with the existing holes in the barrel.  My machinist drilled and tapped for the other screw hole.  If you are going to try to keep your gun all original, the one screw should hold the sight sufficiently.

sghart3578

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 08:48:13 PM »
Thank you Garnett.  Great information that is much appreciated.

Steve

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 11:43:17 PM »
Steve, Please check your regular email for a message from me.  Also, my earlier measurement was way off!  I just looked at the Numrich site, and the height from bottom to top is .500 inch according to their ad.  Best wishes.  Garnett

CDSUSMC

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Are you still looking? I cleaned up this one and gave it a nitrate blueing dip. Let me know if you're interested.

sghart3578

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »
Thank you guys!  With Garnett's help I have a sight that works great!

Steve in N CA