Author Topic: Can't Open a M219C  (Read 4780 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
Can't Open a M219C
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
I received this inquiry from someone who purchased my book.  Does anyone have any suggestions for him?  My first thought is that someone put an early barrel on this "C" action that requires a stud on the barrel lug to actually cock the gun as this later action is not cocked by the moving of the top lever.  As a temporary solution to getting the barrel open, I suggested using a cleaning rod with a solid end and trying to push the firing pin back into the action.  If this fails to get the action open, then I suggested removing the stock and trying to cock the hammer with a probe of some kind, and if this fails, to remove all the internal parts including the screw that holds the firing pin in place so that the barrel will open.  This won't fix the problem, but perhaps it will help find the problem.  Doe anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Hi Garnett, I just received a 219C from a gunbroker auction. I can't open the action (it will only open 1/8 inch , but I think I can see firing pin sticking out from breach and maybe stopping barrel from opening further. Ever seen this?) I have sent a message to the seller and am awaiting his answer as to what he had done with the rifle prior to shipping. Book is great, and I've learned a lot without being half finished with the read. Any info for above problem would be appreciated, Yours Truly. I will gather up my 219s and 220s and see what info I can possibly add to the question sheet. I have never seen a 32-20 or a 25-20, but I'm looking

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Can't Open a M219C/Problem Solved!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Garnett,
Thank you for the fast response to my problem. Now let me apologize for being a pain in the neck. My entire problem was not knowing how the barrel cocking action should feel as compared to a lever cocking action on the earlier 219s. As I was beginning to try one of your suggested remedies, I must have applied too much force to the action. (not enough hands to do the job properly) The action opened, the ejector pushed the firing pin back in, and the action cocked. All as it was designed for. I guess they could not design for my temerity. Again, I am sorry to be of trouble.

Joe, no trouble at all.  I am glad you solved your problem.