Author Topic: 219 in 30-30  (Read 5747 times)

Sentry44

Re: 219 in 30-30
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 01:42:59 AM »
Mike you're very right about it as your deer gun.  I hunt about 2/3's if the time on my own property, where the shot can be up to 300 yards, so i use a scoped .270.  But when I hunt my neighbor's, the stand is tight, and the shot is only 30-50 yards.  PERFECT for iron sights and medium velocity.

The .219 .30-30 always gets the nod.  Light and short, easy to carry up steep steps, and shootable in a small awkward stand.

Chris

MikeLeong

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
Chris, I saw a Schultz and Larsen in 7 by 61 that I think I will buy as my long range gun, if I need something that would be accurate at 300 yards. My friend who does some  gun repairs has collected them for years, and he is selling them off as he can no longer hunt like he used to. At that range my problem is that I have to rest the gun on something as I never was any good at holding a rifle steady. I am also short sighted, and getting long in the tooth myself so shooting with iron sights is not longer an option, even at the deer bait.

Garnett. I will start checking on ebay for a 20 gauge barrel to fit my 219. That set of guns I mentioned was interesting, but I am wanting to stay married and I think my wife would not be amused if I start collecting these guns as well!

Hope you are all staying warm down south, as we have woken up to -35 to -40 Celsius for two weeks now. I hear we will be back to less frigid temps by the end of this week, which means our 'polar vortex' is dropping down your way.....
Mike

Cleetus

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 03:33:33 PM »
Mike,
I just noticed this thread. There are two different striker types that are used in the striker type trigger mechanisms. They correspond two the two main types of trigger sear setups the earlier Utica ones will not work in the Chicopee Falls models. The last striker mechanisms Numrich was selling were the Chicopee Falls types. If you got Garnett’s book and look closely at his illustrations you will see the differences in the strikers. The other possibility you could have is a head space issue. These guns can wear or someone has swapped out barrels and there will be too much space at the breechface and so if the primer is seated slightly deeper on one of the cartridges the pin doesn’t hit it deep enough. Close the action on your gun and shine a flashlight from one side and look for a gap. The hinge pin or barrel hook may be worn or the barrel is from another gun.

Cleetus

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 03:38:22 PM »
That multiple barrel set has been around. The shotgun barrels were ad-one that had been shortened and have no chokes. If you get pictures you will see the condition.

MikeLeong

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 08:48:09 PM »
Interesting, I wondered why the price seemed so reasonable. It never came back up on GunNutz so maybe somebody bought it.

You hardly ever see a 219 come for sale there, let alone ones with several barrels.