Author Topic: M220 in .22 SHOT  (Read 6070 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
M220 in .22 SHOT
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:45:37 PM »
Someone contacted me today wanting information about a M220 of his father's, that is in .22 Shot.  I have one and have a friend who has one.  Does anyone else have one of these?

Mike Armstrong

Re: M220 in .22 SHOT
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
I don't have one but remember that back in the early 1990s Numrich Arms of West Hurley NY (now Gun Parts Corp.) was selling off Savage parts that they had apparently acquired when one of Savage's plants (Utica?) closed.  They had several .22 shot barrels for sale one day when I was in the shop/warehouse, as well as other calibers/guages which I took to be factory prototypes/experiments, including 9mm RF, .22 WRM, .22 Rem Jet, .256 Win., .357 Maximum, and others that I have forgotten.  Also odd length shotgun barrels like 32" 16 guage that I suspect were originally intended for export.

I had next to no money and was unable to scoop up these treasures; hope somebody else who cares about these Savages got them.  Was only able to buy a very normal used 26" 220 .410 barrel to fit to my ancient 219 .25-20....still have both.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »
Mike, I have heard tell of these odd calibers at Numrich and seen some of them listed in the old catalogs.  Your are the first person who I know of that has actually seen any of them.  Thank you for this information.  Your .410 and .25-20 combo is a really nice one to have. 

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Yeah, I love that little combo.  I notice that the vendor of repro Savage hang tags you reference on this site has no hang tags or model numbers for combos that feature a rifle barrel with a .410 shotgun barrel.  Were any such combos ever made at the factory?

I now remember that I also saw a 219 barrel at Numrichs that was in 5mm Remington rimfire.  Can't remember if the rifle barrels all had scope grooves....

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 05:18:17 AM »
Mike, I am away from home for the long weekend so I don't have my reference material with me, but as well as I can remember, the .410 barrel was NOT an option for the "Utility" guns.  However, extra barrels could be ordered in the early years as a separate item.  I have been unable to determine if the assembly numbers were matched at the factory if the extra barrel was part of the original purchase.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:41:55 AM »
Mike, I am away from home for the long weekend so I don't have my reference material with me, but as well as I can remember, the .410 barrel was NOT an option for the "Utility" guns.  However, extra barrels could be ordered in the early years as a separate item.  I have been unable to determine if the assembly numbers were matched at the factory if the extra barrel was part of the original purchase.
Mike, I am home and have checked my records.  I have verified that as far as my 8 years of research show, the "Utility" guns were not offered with a .410 barrel.  Best wishes, Garnett