Author Topic: New member  (Read 1093 times)

planetking

« on: September 04, 2022, 10:01:32 AM »
Hi all,

Ted here, and really pleased to have found this forum!

I have a 220 16 ga built in Utica, probably late 30s build and a 24 410/.22 built in Massachusetts. I'll post pictures on the respective categories in the next day or two.

I am curious as to where the serial numbers (if any) will be found? Before posting I will pull their butt plates to see what information might be there, to include with my pics. Both are all original and despite having traveled quite a few times around the country over the years are in pretty good shape and appear fully functional. I'll clean and lube them, but probably leave all the furniture as is.

Any suggestions as to disassembly tricks or cautions? They've not been broken down for decades...

Thanks,

Ted

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 02:41:18 PM »
Ted, Welcome to this forum!  On the serial number question.....very few of these guns had serial numbers as SN were not required on all guns until the 1968 gun control act.  They were discontinue in 1967.  I purchased 44 of these two models, 219/220, for research for my book, and only 4 of the rifles had serial numbers.  They do have assembly letters/numbers located under the barrel in from of the lug, on the top left inside of the frame, and stamped into the wood under the butt plate.  There will be a mixture of numbers and letters, and may not be exactly the same at each location, but can be used to tell if the gun is all original. I know this may be confusing.  In the very few original "Utility" guns I have examined, I have found some of them only have a 3 digit number in these 3 places and stamped into the wood on the forearm.  Complete disassembly and especially reassembly of the 219-220 actions can be tricky and frustrating!  The December 1962 issue of Shooting Times has an article on disassembly, all text and no pictures.  I purchased one on Ebay for about $8.00.  You may still find one for sale.  My book also had these instructions complete with color photographs.  Good luck with your plans.  We look forward to your pictures.   

planetking

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 03:10:19 PM »
Okay,

Making progress so as to include in my pictures.

How does the wood forarm remove? With the screw out, it still feels affixed to something. I don't want to break it, since it's still in great condition!

Thanks,

Ted

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 05:10:59 PM »
Ted, are we still talking about the M220, not the over under .22/.410?  If so, on the M220, put the screw back in place.  Assuming you are right handed, with your left hand,  hold the barrel just above the tip of the forearm securely, then with your right hand, grip the forearm near the front toward your left hand and pull out and downward and the forearm will release from the barrel. 

Now to remove the barrel, again, holding the pistol grip in your right hand, move the top lever as far to the right as it will go.  This will open the action and the barrel can then be moved slightly to the rear of the action with your left hand and it will come loose from the pivot pin and separate completely from the action.