Author Topic: 220 photos and details  (Read 1477 times)

planetking

220 photos and details
« on: September 04, 2022, 06:48:58 PM »
Thank you Garnett!

This is my 220. Purchased probably new, approximately 1938 - 1940. Either in New York or Michigan, and probably new. It was my dad's pheasant gun in college.

639 and K stamped in stock butt, barrel and frame. Forearm is stamped with a 7. I've not yet done any cleaning or lube other than to wipe it with a damp cloth. Pretty darn good shape for it's age and travels over the last 80ish years. Tomorrow I'll begin clean up!

Any info y'all may have is very much appreciated. Retirement has allowed me some time to get to a couple of these 'forever postponed projects' and when this one is done I'll present the model 24 410/.22 over-under.

Ted

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 220 photos and details
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.  You have a very nice shotgun.  It is what I call a "First Model Utica", in that it has the steel trigger guard and slim trigger.  Later Utica guns had a slim trigger and "Alloy" trigger guards, that I call a "Second Model Utica".  Very few forearms are numbered. 

planetking

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 07:53:34 PM »
Does the 7 stamp indicate anything, such as year of manufacture?
I'll post more detail when it's clean!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 11:15:17 PM »
I think the number "7" is either the style of the forearm, as there were several, or it denotes what gauge barrel it fits.  I have not found enough numbered forearms in my research to determine which it may be.  I have one forearm with the number "3" stamped in it.   The year of manufacture can be determined on later models by a number and a letter in a circle.  i.e. 2A in a circle would be 1949, when this method started.  A for 1949 and the number of the inspector.  Your gun could be as early and 1938, and certainly no later than 1946.

planetking

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 04:51:14 PM »
Found another stamp, during cleanup

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 06:36:25 PM »
This is one of several styles of Savage proof marks.  Some are in an oval and some have more than the S in them.  It appears you pin holding the extractor in place has move out.  i suggest tapping it back in place so that it is not outside the lug on either side.  Thanks for the additional picture.