Author Topic: New to me 219 in 30-30  (Read 1177 times)

The Ry Guy

New to me 219 in 30-30
« on: September 29, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »
Thought I might share a few pics of my Utica made 219 I just picked up recently.

I'd like to get it into the woods after some venison, but Ohio doesn't allow for bottleneck cartridges (straight wall only) during deer season. I'm sorely tempted to have this barrel rebored to 38-55 Winchester, but it's almost too nice to do that to!

Ideally, if I could find a 22 hornet barrel that's a bit rough, i'd rebore that to 357max, (already have the dies and bullets for that one) and have a real nice, lightweight Ohio deer gun.

For now, I'll enjoy it as a 30-30, maybe mount a peep sight or an old 4X Leupold I have on it. I really love the classic lines and colors of the blued steel and walnut, plus I really like the way it comes to my shoulder. Can't wait to get it to the range and try it out.

Anyone have an extra barrel they'd be willing to sell? I've got a saved search up on Ebay as well. :D

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: New to me 219 in 30-30
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 11:31:19 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures!  You have a really nice gun so please don't re-bore.  Barrels are plentiful on Ebay, though you might have a problem finding one in a fine finish like your barrel.  I have always liked the idea of a 38-55 and .30 cal barrels are more plentiful than .22 Hornets.  What is the length of pull on your stock?  The reason I ask is that you have as Savage original recoil pad on your gun.  This is very unusual, and must be a special order gun.  You gun is what I call a Second Model Utica.  The First models had a steel, shotgun style trigger guard, gracefully curved and tapered to the rear.   If you have time, look under the recoil pad to see if the assembly numbers from the frame and under the barrel are stamped into the wood.  Again, thanks for sharing your beautiful gun with us!  Please set us know how the project for a new barrel turns out.  If you get a later model barrel with the suffixes "B" or "C", you will also need to get a late model forearm, and they will not fit the attachment lug on the barrel for the early forearms.  Good luck!

The Ry Guy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 10:28:03 AM »
Finally got a minute to look at this. Surprisingly, the pad is still soft-ish. Not crumbly like they usually are at this age.

Pictures of the markings behind the recoil pad...

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 11:50:26 AM »
You gun's assembly numbers are really interesting to me, as yours is the only one I have seen that have the assembly numbers in a circle.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

The Ry Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 12:10:22 PM »
You're welcome, glad they have piqued your interest!

I haven't been to the range with it yet, but I hope to remedy that soon.