Author Topic: Hello, BT here.  (Read 905 times)

BT

Hello, BT here.
« on: February 17, 2023, 02:59:47 PM »
I inherited a 219 30/30 that belonged to my great grandparents. It went to my grandmother many years ago, maybe in the 70’s.

Grandma passed away in 2017 and just months prior to her passing, she asked if there was any particular gun of theirs that I’d like to have. The Savage was my choice. I’ve been a long time single shot enthusiast, having Contenders, Encores and NEF/H&R’s for around 30 years.

The 219 I hadn’t seen in a long time, possibly since the late 80’s, before getting it from their cabinet. I knew my aunt deer hunted with it when I was young. I’m 53 now. And in my minds eye, all these years, I figured it to be an H&R Topper. I was delighted to see it was a Savage, a single shot I had no prior experience with.

My 219 is relatively nice and clean, though I have yet to do anything with it, nor have I fired a round through it. I’m a scope guy so hopefully I can find someone competent enough to install a base for me.

I was thankful when I’ve done some brief searching for information on these and ran across this site. I’ve been lurking for several months but just recently registered.

MikeLeong

Re: Hello, BT here.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 08:10:08 AM »
I had a gunsmith I trusted drill my 219 30-30 for a rail, as I need a scope being short sighted. It works well and with the Leverevolution powder Hogden makes you can get great groups at a hundred yards if you are into reloading.

BT

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 09:30:45 PM »
Hi Mike. Yes, I handload and actually I’ve wondered if there are any limitations when loading for the 219. Not that I intend to push the envelope.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 11:06:27 PM »
According to Mr. Callahan, the former employee and historian for Savage Arms, the R&D department made a 219 in both .30-40 Krag and .45-70, but chose not to market them in that caliber.  I have seen conversions in .30-40 and .219 Zipper.