Author Topic: Hi there, new here researching my 220 .410.  (Read 2076 times)

LHS905

Hi there, new here researching my 220 .410.
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:17:46 AM »
Hi,

New here.  I found the site looking for information on my 220 .410.  It's always been in my family, but don't know the history of it-if it came from my Mother's or Father's side.  Long family history of firearms collection.  If I recall correctly it was with this shotgun that I broke my first clay bird.

I have dawdled here a little bit and have gleaned some info from the better informed.  I think it must be pretty early as I can't find a letter/number date code, but there is a "3" within a circle on the right side of the frame. It has a Utica address.  The forend does not appear to match, but fits-kinda.  It is cracked and has glue in a couple of places.  From what I learned here, I should be able to pull the forend off without removing the screw.  The screw on mine looks to be chrome plated and trimmed to fit.  There is also a hole on the barrel lug that has been tapped to receive said screw. The lug also appears to be filed to fit the forend.

It is far from perfect, but functional-and a family heirloom.  I have become intrigued by the new TSS turkey shotshells and the reviews of how well it works from a .410 for turkey hunting.  This would be a joy to carry in the turkey woods.  I'm a little concerned about the tightness of the choke-if there is one on these early .410s. The bore measures 0.38 which puts it tighter than a standard .410 full choke.

LHS

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Hi there, new here researching my 220 .410.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 01:47:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum!   For sure, you have what I call a First Model Utica, most likely made before WWII. The First Model Uticas had a steel trigger guard like yours.  Later 2nd Model Uticas had an alloy trigger guard.  The date codes did not start until 1947.  The code was a letter inside a circle with a number.  The number was to identify the inspector and the letter identified the year.  A = 1947

As to the choke.  I have all catalogs from 1937 to end of production.  They do not mention any particular, but imply all chokes are full.  I have had a very few people tell me their 220's measured modified or something less than full.  Most likely these were opened up after leaving the factory, but no proof of this.  These guns had assembly numbers stamped in front of the barrel lug, on the inside top left of the frame, and on the wood under the butt plate.  These were a variety of letters and numbers, and I suspect that if this assembly number contained an "F", it was mistaken as a "full" choke barrel.

The forearms were not attached with a screw like your gun, unless this screw was just added for strength.  Yes, with a normal 220 without your screw, you should be able to pull the forearm off easily by holding the barrel with one hand and placing your other hand on the front of the forearm and pulling away from the barrel.  Please send a picture of the inside and outside of your forearm and I will try to give you some better information.  Once I get your picture, if it is not the correct forearm, I can send you a picture of what the forearm on your gun should be.   I hope this helps some.  Best wishes, Garnett
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:52:03 PM by Garnett »

LHS905

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 03:37:32 PM »
Forearm photos:

LHS

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 06:02:31 PM »
That is definitely not an original Savage 219/220 forearm.  I will send a picture of the proper forearm tomorrow.  They are available on Ebay, but you have to get the early one suitable for your gun, as later forearms for the later models won't fit.

LHS905

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 07:25:15 PM »
Thanks Garnett, that confirms what I suspected.  Now I wonder if the "fitting" on the lug removed metal necessary to attaching an original forearm.

LHS

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »
Your forearm attaching lug appears to be an early unmodified one.  I will send pictures tomorrow.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 01:09:14 PM »
Here are pictures of the forearm you need for your gun.  Note the large lug on the barrel is the same as yours.  The forearm attaching metal on these early guns were milled steel.  The later stamped metal attachments maybe could be made to fit, but I would not attempt it myself.  Try to find an original.  I hope the pictures will help in your search.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

LHS905

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 02:30:25 PM »
Perfect!  Thank you very much.  I am now on the hunt.

I presume the forearm would be specific for .410.  Are there calibers of Model 219's that would interchange?

LHS

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 05:23:31 PM »
I have never tried, but a forearm for an early 219 rifle might fit.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 01:01:25 PM »
I received your email yesterday with the data request sheet.  Thanks very much for sending.  I find the assembly numbers interesting, in that they are different from other numbers I have seen.  Hope you can find a proper forearm soon.

LHS905

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 12:10:44 AM »
You bet Garnett.  I hope the info is useful. 

Would photos of the assembly numbers be of use to you?

LHS

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 09:26:21 AM »
Yes, I would like to add them to the photos in the next edition of my book.  Thanks.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 09:43:13 AM »
My Utica .410 forend accepts both an early 219 .25-20 WCF barrel and a .22 Hornet barrel. so I suspect any early Utica 219 rifle forend would work for your .410.  I'd only accept one with a "3-day inspection right" clause in the deal, tho.  Maybe that's just me....

LHS905

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 11:47:12 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I ended up finding one on ebay.  Purportedly from a 12 ga.  It is pretty rough condition, but it fits.  It will work for the time being.  I might try to replace the wood.

LHS