Author Topic: I wonder....  (Read 4370 times)

Mike Armstrong

I wonder....
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
if anybody else has ever used the little "notch" on the top edge of the receiver of their 220 as a crude sight for slug or buckshot shooting?

I realize it IS crude, but "sighted in" my 220A adjustable choke 20 guage with Foster-type (Remington "Slugger") slugs one deer season back in Vermont in the late 1980s when it was the only gun I had that was deer-legal.  It made a 3 1/2"-4" group of 3 slugs about right on for windage and 3" high for elevation with the shotgun bead centered in the "notch," which I figured was OK given the VERY short ranges in the brush and bramble jungles we hunted.  I (perhaps fortunately) didn't get a shot at a deer that season and replaced the 220 with a proper deer rifle the next season.  But in theory it should have worked at those short ranges.  I had opened the Savage variable choke to the most open setting,  true cylinder bore.

Given that many single shot shotguns in the past and a few in the present get used as "all-purpose guns" by guys who owned only one gun, I suspect that at least SOME 220s have been used as deer or hog or bear guns this way.   Anybody have any knowledge of that?

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: I wonder....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
Mike, I have a M220 that has been drilled and tapped for a scope.  I believe this was done for slug shooting.  Years ago, "Pappy" Hylton, (mentioned in my book) installed a Weaver 1.5 (I think that was the power) scope on a Browning 5 shot auto for slug shooting.  I personally have never shot any of my M220's.  Maybe some other readers can comment.