Author Topic: Another hammerless single barrel shotgun  (Read 5806 times)

Mike Armstrong

Another hammerless single barrel shotgun
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »
Since my renewed interest in Savage hammerless single shots began, I've been looking for similar guns just to see how popular this kind of gun was in the past.  Obviously it was popular enough for Savage to jump into the competition with existing guns like the "Lefever Long Range" made by Ithaca, although Savage's coming out with BOTH rifles and shotguns in this format was a bold, wise move.

I recently found another hammerless American shotgun that would have been for roughly the same market as the 220 later occupied, the "A.J. Aubrey Hammerless Single Shot" advertised in a 1908 Sears catalog.  It was a nice-looking gun that would have been fairly close in dimensions and features to the 12 guage 220 that Savage introduced later.  It was apparently only offered in 12 guage with a 30 or 32" barrel, and you could get a "Liege" Belgian Damascus barrel for slightly higher than the basic steel barrel. 

As many of you know, Damascus barrels were considered by many around the turn of the century (the 20th, not the 21st!) to be of superior strength to fluid steel barrels.  The best were probably pretty strong.

Almost all Damascus barrels were "knitted" as they called it, in Belgium, even the highest grade American and British guns were often made from Belgian blanks finished in the makers country.

As noted in other threads, a hammerless single shot SHOTGUN has some advantages over a hammer gun, a rifle less so IMO.  And there were a number of predecessors to the Savage hammerless series.

I'd be interested to know if these A.J. Aubrey (later J.C. Higgins became the "house" brand for Sears) hammerless singles show up in other  turn of the century Sears catalogs (I just have the one).  And does anybody know who actually manufactured them?  Made in USA?

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Another hammerless single barrel shotgun
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:27 PM »
Mike, I have long admired the A.J. Aubrey shotguns and have seen the ads for them many times.  They made some very high grade engraved guns.  I don't know where they were made, but just assumed....here in the U.S.    I have never seen one.

Mike Armstrong

Re: Another hammerless single barrel shotgun
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:52:39 PM »
Best as I can find out, the A.J. Aubrey shotguns were made by Meriden Firearms in the US, although I suspect some of the earlier, cheaper ones were made in Belgium.  They made a LOT of guns, mostly shotguns, but some revolvers, too. 

I don't think the later "J.C. Higgins" Sears brand made any of their own guns, although some of their models were made by other firms like Hi-Standard specially for them and never sold under any other name.

I have seen several A.J. Aubrey double shotguns, but never a single shot.  The doubles I saw were a very basic field grade hammerless 12 and a very fancy hammerless 12 with extensive engraving and lovely wood.  Mechanically they seemed the same (both had sidelocks) except the higher grade one had automatic ejectors.