Author Topic: Oopy38's Savage Arms Display AGCA 2012  (Read 8819 times)

gwsiii

• Administrator
Oopy38's Savage Arms Display AGCA 2012
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
Here are pics of oopy38's Savage Model 219 and Savage Model 220 display at the Summer 2012 AGCA show. This is the most Savage 219 and Savage 220 single shots seen in one place, at one time, for a lot of the attendees at the show. Many said so, and thought it deserved special recognition in the awards, but it didn't....

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Oopy38's Savage Arms Display AGCA 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
Many of the items pictured here will be featured in my new book "Savage Single Shot Rifles and Shotguns.  The book should be printed and ready for sale by early August.  More details to follow later.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »
Yeah, that display DID deserve an award!  But I guess it, like the 219/220, is a little out of fashion.  A shame in both cases.

Looking at all those Savages makes me wonder all over again:  "Why in the dickens did Savage ever introduce that pot metal trigger guard when they got the trigger guard right in the first models?"  It CAN'T have saved that much money or manufacturing/assembly time!  Still a mystery to me....

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:54:03 PM »
Mike, why does anyone do anything? :-)  It makes you wonder.  But, a different trigger guard, trigger, and internal mechanism, all together, along with dropping the flanged barrel, and the fluted comb on the stock, plus using a stamped rear sight, could make a difference in profit.  Also, as I understand it, the guns were made to be easily afordable to the masses.

As to the display, these guns are not very popular and the judges really did not know what they were looking at.  This past weekend I had a Savage display, "Savage Goes to War" at a military collectors show.  Again, the spectators did not know what they were.  I only had one person read everything on my table.  While the two M220's on display were very rare, most people only stopped to look at the Savage made British Enfield.  One good thing....as long as these guns are relatively unknown and not appreciated, we few collectors can continue to find them at relatively low prices!  :-) 

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
I'm sure the other changes to the original 219 DID lower production cost, but the trigger guard couldn't have saved much.  It's just sheet steel...even I could probably make one with a little elbow grease!  My guess is that they thought the painted pot metal ones looked "more modern" and they thought that was a GOOD thing!  Needless to say, I don't.

On the topic of military Savages, have you ever seen a US Ordnance -marked 220?  I never have but I bet there are a few (very few) out there, since I've seen Stevens 94s with the Ordnance "bomb."  At one point the USA was buying up just about all the 12 guage (and a few 16s) shotguns of all types that they could find. 

Some were ultimately used for guard duty, some for training air and anti-air gunners, and some for "recreational shooting" at bases.  I know that there are some fakes showing up, but I have seen Ordnance-marked "civilian" shotguns all my life, and many of them were before anybody thought faking them was worthwhile.  I have personally owned a Winchester Model 37 12 guage with the "bomb," and still have an LC Smith "Featherweight Field" double with an original bomb.  And it's a 16!  What a great gun to go to war with....(Our tax dollars at play?).

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »
I have a M220, 12 gauge, that is "U.S." marked with the Ordnance bomb.  That was one of the two guns on display last weekend in Franklin.  The other was a M220 in .22 SHOT.  Supposedly this was a contract for the army air corp for shooting birds inside hangers.  This one is not "US"marked and thought to be a contract over run sold on the civilian market.  I must say I agree with you 100% on the trigger guards.  In examining the guns I have with the alloy guards, it appears they painted without priming first.  The paint easily wears off.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:48:45 PM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »
Very neat!  I knew there had to be some US 220s out there! 

The Army procurement office for these "civilian" shotguns was in Syracuse, NY, so I assume that they scooped up all the Utica 12 guages they could buy.  I've seen US-marked Stevens 94s, 720 autos, and other Utica Savage guns I can't remember in detail, as well as Elsies, Ithaca NIDs and other Ithaca-made brands like "Western Long Range" and "Lefever Nitro Special,"  all made in that "neighborhood."

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 04:56:46 PM »
Mike, thank you for this information on Syracuse.  Your payment was received in my late afternoon mail.  I will ship your book tomorrom by USPS Priority mail and will notify you of the shipping details.  Thank you again for your purchase!  Will you please contact me by regular e-mail so I can have your email address for my address book?  garnettstancil@hotmail.com 
Best wishes, Garnett

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
Will do today.

Mike Armstrong