Author Topic: 20 Gauge Savage Barrel Wanted  (Read 4310 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
20 Gauge Savage Barrel Wanted
« on: November 22, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »
At one time, Numrich Arms offered a Savage Model 220(Single Shot Hammerless) 20 gauge barrel.  It was 20 inches long and had rifle sights on it.  This barrel, Numrich stock number 811890A, is now sold out.  I would like to purchase one.  Please contact me via Email at garnettstancil@hotmail.com  if you have one for sale.  PLEASE put Savage 220 in the subject line so I will know what the email is about.  Many thanks.  Garnett

I found one of these barrels on E-Bay and purchased it.  It is as new and I don't believe it has ever been fitted to an action.  I have tried it on two of my actions.  It fits better on the 2nd one, but will not close.  I will try on my other actions for the best fit and then have my gunsmith properly finish fitting it.  I have been searching for this barrel for sometime, and another one was offered on Gun Broker this week, as new, and sold for $150 plus shipping.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:22:39 PM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

Re: 20 Gauge Savage Barrel Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
Garnett, I'm pretty sure that those short barrels (and at least a few of the short "carbine" barrels in rifle calibers that show up occasionally) were leftover parts that Numrich Arms bought up when Savage moved its factory (twice?).  A few were left over from Savage R&D projects, I know.    But at least some were spare parts that I believe Numrich shortened in the hope that they would be more salable that way, as "home defense" or "brush" and "slug" barrels. 

Kinda hurts my heart to think that some rarish 30" 20 guage  and 32" 12 and 16 guage 220  barrels may have had a foot lopped off them to make them more "handy"....but I SUSPECT that's what happened.   

And Numrich assembled some complete "mixmaster" guns from these parts and receivers/stocks that they bought from the public as parts for just about nothing.  I learned from an early age not to respond to their "parts wanted" ads--what they would give you usually barely covered the cost of shipping the parts to them.  It's a good place to BUY parts!  They sold those made-up guns direct to the public through their retail store in West Hurley, NY.

Have fun with the "new" gun!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 20 Gauge Savage Barrel Wanted
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »
Mike, I am away from home for several weeks and my savages are in safe storage.  I will do some research when I return home.

7-16-16  "Kinda hurts my heart to think that some rarish 30" 20 gauge  and 32" 12 and 16 gauge 220  barrels may have had a foot lopped off them to make them more "handy"....but I SUSPECT that's what happened." 

Mike, I am home now and have just finished measuring the Numrich 20 Gauge slug barrel against a Utica standard 20 gauge.  I will have the technical measurements, in detail, in my revised edition, if I ever get it finished and printed.  But I can now say that I strongly believe this Numrich barrel was NOT made by Savage and cut off for later sales.  The dimensions of the Numrich barrel are mostly much larger that the Savage barrel. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:32:12 AM by Garnett »