Author Topic: WTS: Savage Mod. 219/220 combination SS  (Read 8817 times)

Mike Armstrong

WTS: Savage Mod. 219/220 combination SS
« on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
For Sale:

What it is: a Savage 219 .30-30 with fitted 20 guage shotgun barrel.  This is a Utica "second model" .30-30 with alloy trigger guard and steel safety and trigger.  It is marked "-219-" on the receiver, with Utica address and caliber marking on the .30-30 barrel.  The shotgun barrel has only Savage and guage markings, no manufacturing address, but seems to me to be a Utica product; bluing and the barrel form are consistent with Utica barrels.  I got the shotgun barrel separate from the rifle, so can't claim these are a factory set, but the shotgun barrel fits the rifle receiver as tho it was made for it.  I don't have the separate shotgun forend, but the 20 guage barrel fits the .30-30 rifle forend perfectly.

Condition: all original parts except for the following:  Rifle barrel has had the rear sight removed and replaced with a dovetail slot filler, and the barrel has been tapped and drilled for Weaver two-piece top mounts, which I left on the gun because it can be hard to find the exact ones for a 219.  Gun came with Japanese-made, Savage-marked 2.5X scope and rings which I sold to Garnett for his collection.  Stock and barrels are uncut (26" rifle; 28" shotgun) and the stock has original Savage buttplate.  Rifle barrel has the original rifle ramp and bead front sight.

The wood is original except that it has been refinished with a hard, clear finish.  The forend is regular straight-grained walnut, but the stock is the prettiest fiddleback walnut I've ever seen on a 219.  There is a small crack on the left side of the stock behind the receiver, but it has been professionally repaired and isn't going anywhere.

Bore of the .30-30 barrel isn't perfect;  it has "darkness" in the grooves with shiny clear lands, but shoots great, certainly good for deer hunting.  Shotgun bore is perfect.

Rifle has overall about 80-85% bluing, with silvering on sharp corners, and a couple of small spots of very light pitting from sweaty or bloody finger tips.  The rifle receiver, like many that are this old, has turned an even matte blue-black color overall.  Barrel is still bright blue-black.  Shotgun barrel has about 90% blue-black bluing, and still has the original silver bead front sight.

Alloy trigger guard has paint off the sharp corners, like most of these 219s.

I'm asking $375 for this set, shipped to a C&R or regular FFL in the lower 48.  I will need an emailed or mailed copy of the license that I'm shipping to, and they will have to accept a firearm from an individual (non-dealer). Most will.

Payment by USPS money order or personal check made out to me.  Checks take about two banking days to clear my bank.

I'm selling this set because of restricted opportunities for big game hunting in CA under our drought conditions; my small bore 219s are getting all the fun because varmints are still plentiful.   Serious offers accepted/rejected politely.

Can't post pictures but will gladly send you several if you will email me your email address.  My email is mikearmstrong3030@gmail.com.  Please ask any questions here, by PM,  or by email.  But the only way to "seal the deal" is by posting an "I'll take it" on this ad.  Then I'll email or PM you my address for payment and start packing the set.

Thanks for reading!  I'm going to keep ad on this site for a week to give any serious 219 lovers a chance, then put it onto a larger site.

Mike Armstrong

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:42:42 PM by Mike Armstrong »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: WTS: Savage Mod. 219/220 combination SS
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
Mike, thanks for giving our forum readers first chance to purchase.  Good luck and Happy New Year!  Garnett

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
Thanks, Garnett!  We just got back from visiting my son in DC.

He took us to the USMC Museum in Quantico, which was a moving and interesting experience and the first museum (including the NRA!) that had NO errors in firearms descriptions or history that I could detect!  My son showed us several pictures of his unit in action in Afghanistan, and, sadly, a comrade he lost there.  He got through two deployments unscathed.

We also got to visit the National Arboretum and the American Horticultural Assn. while there, interested because of our volunteer work in wildlife habitat restoration.

Hope you have a great New Years and a great 2016!  Thanks for keeping up your unique and interesting website for us!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
May God bless and protect your son and all our servicemen and women!

pivotaction

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »
Where in CA are you located?

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:24:34 AM »
Pivotaction, I'm in Seal Beach, next town down the coast from Long Beach, just across the Orange Curtain.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »
Offers?

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
How about $325 shipped to your FFL or C&R?

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
Savage combination is sold.  Thanks for your interest!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 06:20:50 PM »
Mike, thanks again for giving our forum members a chance to purchase!

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:05:36 PM »
Garnett, I also notice there's a 219 in .22 Hornet for sale on the "Classified" forum on 24hourcampfire.com.  Not mine, but maybe worth a look.

I sold my .30-30/20 guage to a guy who had previously (about two owners ago) owned it, but without the shotgun barrel!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 11:10:12 PM »
I can't find it.