Author Topic: One that got away  (Read 6543 times)

coyotejoe

One that got away
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
I let this one get away from me because I was fixated on the Franz Kettner Stalking rifle. I was determined to get the Kettner rifle and so could not afford to bid on the Savage. I can't believe it went for $250. I try to console myself by telling myself that if I had bid the other guy would also have bid it up so it might not have been such a sweet deal by the time the bidding was over. But this is by far the nicest 219 I have seen in years, if ever.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583544892

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: One that got away
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »
Joe, I agree with you, it is a very nice rifle.  If I did not have one like it, I would have bid.  It is what I call a  "First Model Utica" with the steel trigger guard and slim trigger.  Did you notice the rear sight?  It looks different from the normal sights on these early guns.  You did not actually say, but did you get the stalking rifle?  Garnett

coyotejoe

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »
Yes I did, I paid about three times as much as the most expensive gun I've ever previously owned but I was determined to have it and that's where the guys reserve price took me. I'm now in the process of selling 6 guns to pay for it. I tell myself I'm "upgrading" by trading quantity for quality. Yeah, that's what I'm telling myself.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »
In the far distant past, I have traded/sold several guns to get one that I NEEDED RIGHT THEN!  :) :)  And, I might add.....i took a loss on them sometimes!   :(   My wife never objected to me buying a gun, but she really got upset with me if I sold one for less than I paid! :)  Good luck on paying for your new toy!

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
I was in Boise, ID a few days ago and there was a (I believe) "2nd Model Utica" .30-30 for sale at Boise Gun Company.  No serial number but "-219-" on the frame.  Nice steel guard, trigger and safety.   All original  except I think the buttstock had been refinished professionally, with some scuffing of the receiver bluing at the "carry" point (looked like it had spent some time in a truck gun rack on bumpy roads, but not bad).  Original sights and excellent but not mint bore.  They wanted $399 for it; not sure if they would dicker, but it's always worth a try.

I have a cherry Utica .30-30 (a little newer with the alloy guard) with a spectacular walnut stock or I would have tried to make a deal on this one.  It's their stock #40153, I think.  I've bought guns from them off GunsAmerica and always been treated very well.  Their website is www.boisegun.com.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »
Mike, I am calling the steel guard, slim trigger, a "First Model Utica".   Alloy guard & slim trigger is a "Second Model Utica".  These are terms I have come up with all by myself! :-) :)  They have nothing to do with an official Savage factory designation.  I have found it much easier to say "First Model Utica", instead of "it has the steel, gracefully tapered to the rear trigger guard and a thin trigger."  Same for "Second Model Utica"......easier to say than "it has an alloy trigger guard painted black, and a thin trigger".  Hopefully, after a while, when either term is used, the correct image will pop in our minds. :)  Please keep us posted on the gun at Boise.

I tried to find it, but could not.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 11:31:57 AM by Garnett »

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
Garnett, the reason I called that gun a"First Model" is that it has the -219- model number on the frame, and I had understood (possibly mistakenly) that the ones with no model designation were even earlier.

Apparently that gun at Boise Guns isn't advertised on GunsAmerica like many of theirs.  Not sure why some of theirs are and some aren't but it may have to do with their policy on consignment sales or some in-house policy like that.  Not because of any Idaho state reg--they don't seem to have any.  Better than having stupid ones, IMO!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »
Mike, I think that Utica receivers with a rifle barrel and no "219" mark on the lower right of the action are M220 Shotguns that someone has put a rifle barrel on at some time in the past.  i only have one unmarked rifle receiver, so I don't have enough information to to on.  I have been on a trip and my guns are in safe storage.  When I get them home, I am going to check the assembly numbers on that particular gun.  I am thinking that the barrel will not match the receiver.  I will keep you posted.  Best wishes, Garnett

Mannyrock

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
Guys,

Based on the picture of this rifle, which are ambiguous in some respects as to condition, I am not so sure you should be kicking yourself for letting it get away.

The bluing has somewhat of an uneven blotty appearance, as if someone ran several rags of the dark 44-40 gun blue all over the metal.

The color of the stock also looks overly dark, as if someone ran several heavily oiled rags over it, or stained it with a dark finish.

Hard to tell, but I do not see the type of overall, even wear, in all of the right places, that one would normally expect for an honest used gun.

So, don't be so hard on yourself.  :-)    There is a reason that your gut told you to pass this one up.

Mannyrock

coyotejoe

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:04:58 AM »
I see your point but it wasn't my gut which cried "NO" it was my wallet. I just couldn't see springing for a 219 when I knew I would be deep into my Visa card for the Franz Kettner, which, by the way, is more impressive in real life than in photos.