Author Topic: Oops bigger 28 images  (Read 4052 times)

Cleetus

Oops bigger 28 images
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:28 AM »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Oops bigger 28 images
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »
The wood has a very nice grain.  Thanks for sharing!

Cleetus

Re: Oops bigger 28 images + box and tag
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »
the box

Ericb

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »
Wow!  That’s pretty cool!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
Cleetus, You have a very rare set!  I am very envious!!!  Thanks for posting.  I think most of us have never seen such a set.  Will you please share with us how you found this great set?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:58:13 PM by Garnett »

Cleetus

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
Found it on Canadian Gunnutz site. The person selling it bought it,apparently, quite a few years ago from a collector that had had it since the sixties. I have no way of knowing how it came to be still kicking around as mostly original with box tag and slightly wax wrapping paper. The parts match although the trigger guard seems more worn than the rest of the gun that had seen little to no use. The ejector usually makes its mark if the gun has been open and closed much. At any rate it knocks down birds for me as well or better than guns costing ten times as much. These are not guns made for high volume clay target shooting but for hunting volumes by keeping the hinge pins etc lubed and clean will last a lifetime. Easy to carry too. Also they are cheap compared to a Turkish pot metal special. These older savage guns still had pretty decent walnut in the odd gun.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 11:48:39 PM »
A lot of owners complain about the trigger pull being too hard, especially on the rifles.  These guns were inexpensive so the masses could afford them.  They were not made for super accurate target shooting.  However, trigger pull aside, they are great accurate rifles & shotguns, and are so much better than the new single shots on the market today.   A friend in California says he has worked on one of his triggers and has improved it. Thanks again for sharing this gun with us!

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 09:47:58 PM »
What a neat little gun and beautiful big dog!  Are those birds Huns or sharptails?  Good shooting with a 28, for sure.  You must have made friends with it!

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
Yours is only the 2nd  boxed set I have seen.  I have two boxes but with my guns, not the originals that came in them.  I think the boxes are rare and the boxed sets even more rare!

Cleetus

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:40 PM »
Mike,

Those were Huns in the picture. It harvested Huns, sharp tails, rugs, and one pheasant last fall. I just found another 220A 20 gauge that should be here next week. It will get a bit of clean up I'm sure.