Author Topic: Glad I found this forum.  (Read 3033 times)

50fps

Glad I found this forum.
« on: October 30, 2021, 09:45:49 AM »
I'm new to this forum and happy to join the single shot crowd. Recently I picked up a 219 chambered in 30-30 from an online auction to add to my single shot collection. I now have a Ruger #1 in 7mm mag, TC 87 in .270, a TC Encore w/ three different barrels and the Savage 219 which is going to be a project. After picking up the 219, I found out that the barrel lug where it wraps around the receiver hinge pin is broken along with missing the ejector hook. I see that a good majority of parts are still available at Numrich, but the search begins for a barrel to replace this one.

Mike Armstrong

Re: Glad I found this forum.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 10:09:31 AM »
As a last resort if you can't find a barrel that suits you, you might consult with a TIG welder who has worked on firearms to repair the crack (if it's not too catastrophic).  And WELCOME to the forum; I like your single shot arsenal a lot!

Mike Armstrong

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  I must ask.....Did the seller advise you of the broken barrel lug?  Good luck on your search.  A different barrel may have to be fitted to your receiver as it may not just "drop in". 

50fps

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 11:50:56 AM »
No they didn't, it was through an auction on HiBid. Unfortunately there is no recourse as they have a disclaimer. I should have broke it down prior to taking ownership.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »
Please keep us posted on your progress on the rebuild.  Have you identified the exact model 219 that you have?  There were 4 distinct models of this rifle.

50fps

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
It is a striker fire and there is no serial numbers that I can see. I did break the receiver down completely to clean and check for any other damage. Receiver was quite pitted, so I took some clear coat polish and buffer to it. I will have it refinished, also have a stock coming from Almans that I ordered prior to finding the barrel issue, so I am now commited to getting it done. 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 12:46:22 PM »
Due to the metal content in the receiver, it will most likely turn a shade of red if you have it reblued by a "hot blue" process.  As best I have been able to determine, the original early models were "rust" blued.  If yours is a post war model made at Chicopee Falls, it may have had a color case hardened receiver. 

50fps

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
It didn't take much to make it look like polished stainless, still plan on doing a durable black coating though. It only has the single pin on the receiver if that helps at all.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 01:18:42 PM »
What address is on the barrel?

50fps

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 02:14:13 PM »
Chicopee falls.

I also found some markings on the inside of receiver. XY chevy emblem looking mark and something else I cannot figure out and on the outside lefthand side of receiver there is a christmas tree looking stamp
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 02:38:45 PM by 50fps »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 03:22:48 PM »
The "XY" and Chevy emblem are assembly letters/emblems.  The same or very similar items are found on the bottom of the barrel in front of the lug and under the butt plate stamped into the wood.  If these letters/numbers match, you know the gun has the original barrel, frame, and stock.  I had never thought of the mark as a "Chevy" emblem.  I always called it a "bow tie".  The other mark I have referred to as an "arrow head".  What ever we call them, their meaning is unknown at this time.  Years ago, I had asked Mr. Callahan, a retired Savage employee and owner of all the Savage records (at that time) if he would decode these symbols and I got a one word answer to my letter....
"No!".  He was most likely the only man alive who could decode them.

OhioMike

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 08:49:47 PM »
Micro Precision Welding
51797 County Road652
Mattawan MI 49071

Phone 269-668-2760  microprecisionwelding.com/gun-repair
  These are gun guys and can repair virtually any gun part including cracked chambers. They did some work for a guy I know on a Ithaca 37 and rescued the receiver. He's a retired machinist and picky.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 11:23:21 PM »
Mike, thanks for this info!!!

50fps

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks Mike!!!

I will be in contact with them.