Author Topic: Ugh...not feeling smart tonight  (Read 6591 times)

Sentry44

Ugh...not feeling smart tonight
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
Hello,

As this is my first post ever on this site, I will attempt to mask my frustration as best as possible.

I have just acquired both a 219 (.30-30) and Garnett ' s book this last week.  Being busy, I just hadn't the time until tonight to give the gun a solid once-over, both in an effort to familiarize myself, and to gather the facts requested in the info sheet.

In doing do, though, I managed to snap the action closed and sheer the tip of the firing pin right off.

I don't know why the pin was intermittently sticking...all I now know is that I will be embarking on a firing pin surgery before even once ever firing the gun.

Gunnpartscorp isn't too far from me, but they seem only to have the entire assembly in stock.  Anyone have a recommendation as to where else I might source the firing pin?

Also a recommendation as to a step-by-step utility for tearing down and replacing the part would be most helpful, if anyone knows of one.

I have replaced the pins in Savage 24 ' s a few times, and don't imagine this to be too similar other then the fact that the shotgun pins on 24 ' s have also been known to stick.

Is this is common problem...the firing pin sticking?  How best to alleviate this once the new pin is in place?

Best, Sentry44
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:11:20 AM by Sentry44 »

gwsiii

• Administrator
Re: Ugh...not feeling smart tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »
Welcome to my Dad's forum. Sorry it's under such dubious circumstances....I have had similar problems with opening and closing my Dad's 219s and 220s, but it wasn't technically the firing pin sticking, it was me not pushing the lever all the way, and I mean, all they way, to the right to open. These guys are a little stiffer than the normal break opens I had handled in the past. They still get me sometimes. My Dad is visiting my Sister so it may be a bit before he chimes in. He doesn't usually take them apart for more than stock repair, so hopefully someone else will chime in. Trey

Sentry44

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 02:31:30 AM »
Trey,

I can appreciate your comments, having now handled the gun.  I did find a replacement pin, so when that arrives and I get to work I'll be sure to keep all up to date on how the replacement goes.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Sentry44, Welcome to the web site.  I have not had the problem you mention.  Is it possible that the firing pin tip was already broken off?  The firing pin seems to be one of the two weak spots in these guns.  The stock cracking where it meets the action is the other very common  problem.  I have never taken one apart.  I have been told that in reassembly if you think a wire spring is crooked, do not straighten it, as it is bent for a purpose.  Try contacting Summit (under the for sale section) as he takes all his apart for cleaning when purchased.  He says he can now reassemble in about 15 minutes.  Maybe he can be of help in your replacement.  I am glad you found a firing pin.  I have purchased two for spares in the past on Ebay.  They have them frequently.  In talking and reading other forums it seems the firing pin is very weak and prone to break if it is dry fired very much.  Good luck on your project!  Happy New Year!  Best wishes, Garnett

Sentry44

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 07:38:38 AM »
Thx Garnett.  I will indeed PM Summitww once I've received the pin.

Garnett

• Administrator
More on 219/220 firing pins
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 10:44:39 AM »
On all models, once the striker (early models) is cocked, if you pull the trigger while the action is open, the striker/pin will protrude from the face of the action and when you shut the barrel, it will sear off the tip.  Starting with the "B" models, there is a hammer, and if installed correctly, is rebounding, and you won't have this problem.  Also, as mentioned earlier, dry firing will cause the pin to break.  As mentioned earlier, the other weak point on these guns is that the stocks crack where the stock meets the action.  It is very common to find stocks cracked at that point, even on the .22 Hornet, which should have no recoil to speak of.  In my book, I go in to details on this.