Author Topic: CNC Program for Model 219 Striker fired  (Read 20805 times)

mkd123

CNC Program for Model 219 Striker fired
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
Don't know if any interest  but i am working with a gentlemen on writing a CNC Program for building a Model 219 Striker fired from the ground up. He is working on a few modifications in the locking since the locking block while serviceable is minimal. Additionally he is helping design a double set trigger system. I hope to construct a 219 in 30-30 only because its a true American Classic.

respectfully
mkd123

Mike Armstrong

Re: CNC Program for Model 219 Striker fired
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
Let us know how that striker project goes!

(I'm less positive about a double set trigger because I flip shotgun and rifle barrels constantly and am unsure how a double set trigger would work on a shotgun where "quick" is essential.  And I remember the only other US hammerless break action "stalking rifle" I can think of,  the TCR-83 and some of its problems).

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:03 PM »
MKD123, This sounds like a very interesting project.  I have put double set triggers on two Mauser sporters I have built.  Please keep us posted on the results.  Also, please excuse my ignorance, but what is a CNC Program?

mkd123

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »
I admit the double triggers are an adventure but i believe i can modify the design found on currently produced Hawken muzzle-loaders. I have done a few trial runs and the modifictaion looks promising. CNC is simply a computer program that allows a user to design a product and then literally make that product at the desired dimensions on a CNC equiped lathe and milling machine. Writing the program is a term for entering the specific measurements and contours that you want the lathe or milling machine to cut. Actually once the program is written the largest part of the work is accomplihed by the machine. For instance, we have taken all the external and internal measurements from my 219 receiver and are now writing the program to build a reciever. If all goes well with that we will do the same with the internal components. Writing the program is the most expensive part of the process. My hope is to build a brand new model 219 (striker fired) to see if i can do it and to test the market and see if any real interest exist in the firearms industry,  Hope that helps

respectfully
mkd123

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
I think the idea is exciting.  Please keep us informed. 

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
A neat project!  IMO you should leave the 219 safety alone and not get caught up in multiple "belt-and-suspenders" systems like T-C did with their break-open stalking rifle, the TCR-83, etc.  One good safety is plenty. 

I'm not sure if the rifle's auto ejector needs to be retained, tho.  Most single shot rifle nuts are reloaders and don't like to spend time chasing brass down with the chiggers!  Apparently that's why you can "turn off" the auto ejector on Ruger #1s, and mine have never been "on"!  An auto ejector is a good deal on the shotgun version, tho.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
Don't know if any interest  but i am working with a gentlemen on writing a CNC Program for building a Model 219 Striker fired from the ground up. He is working on a few modifications in the locking since the locking block while serviceable is minimal. Additionally he is helping design a double set trigger system. I hope to construct a 219 in 30-30 only because its a true American Classic.

respectfully
mkd123

Do you think the double trigger system might be adaptable to existing M219's?

pivotaction

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »

respectfully
mkd123

Do you think the double trigger system might be adaptable to existing M219's?

Fitting an aftermarket Double Set Trigger to the 219??

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:18:59 AM »
Years ago, a friend had a German single shot, hammerless, break open rifle, with double set triggers.  So....they will work on some SS actions.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:07:30 PM by Garnett »

pivotaction

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
Most likely that DoubleSetTrigger was custom made along with the rifle.  When I read your question, I immediately thought of this:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/986028/necg-double-set-rifle-trigger-mauser-98-traditional-style?cm_vc=ProductFinding

.......an aftermarket DoubleSetTrigger.  Can it be made to fit the 219??   It's for a bolt action but can it work?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:14:19 PM by pivotaction »

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
I have put double set triggers on two German Mauser sporting rifles I built in the past.  I have a friend who is a machinist by trade and MASTER gunsmith by avocation.  I will ask him about it.  If anyone could, he could.  He recently installed double set triggers on a pre 1964 Model 70 Winchester.  I am leaving town for a couple of weeks and will talk with him when i get back. 

pivotaction

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:54 PM »
That would be excellent if he could do it.  You should send him an email before you leave so he'll already have some ideas by the time you get back.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 08:31:03 AM »
He is old fashioned and does not do email. :-)

Art Seib

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
The cost involved in all the jigs you would need plus a barrel maker,small parts,etc. Seems like the gun would be very expensive unlike the original for the small percentage of buyers. Not trying to talk you out of it and yes as a retired shop superintedant,tool and die maker,we made all sorts of parts on manual and CNC for firearms under term govt. work. So l know a little about how costs add up.DH

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
Art, I agree with you that the cost sometimes is not justified, but the FUN is worth a lot of dollars in doing something different. :-)