Author Topic: 219 in 30-30  (Read 5743 times)

MikeLeong

219 in 30-30
« on: September 22, 2020, 03:21:39 PM »
Garnett

I  bought a 219 this past winter, and when I sent in the photos you mentioned it was later run model. I took it to the range to test it out for accuracy as you said you were looking to perhaps do a write up on that subject. It shoots one inch groups at 100 yards using factory CORE LOKT ammunition, and it did the same with my handload using Hornday FTX bullets and Leverevolution powder. Another handload using old round nose bullets was all over the paper. I tried to send you an email but your hotmail address from this spring, got sent back to me?

I am having problems with the gun not firing, on every fourth of fifth bullet, so any thoughts you have on fixing that are much appreciated.

There is also a guy up here on the Canadian Gun Nutz site that is selling a 219 with four barrels (30-30, 22Hornet, 12 and 20 gauge)  for $1050. I thnk that is a good price, what would that kind of set go for down there?

Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: 219 in 30-30
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
Mike, my email is:    garnettstancil@hotmail.com       It has not changed in years.  Please try to resend photos. 

What I am about to say is my personal opinion as I am not a gunsmith/machinist.  I would guess the intermittent firing is because of a broken firing pin.  One shot, the broken tip lines up properly and hits the primer, next shot the tip is misaligned and does not hit the primer.  Please look at this "Striker" on Ebay No. 224158040777.  If a broke pin is the problem, this is the part you need.  However, because this striker is part of an assembly, your problem could be caused by one or more of those parts not functioning properly with the rest of the assembly.  Your rifle is what I call a "Second Model Utica".

I'll do some research and get back with you on the multi barrel set. How many forearms come with the set?  Do the assembly numbers on all barrels match the frame?  Has any of it been reblued?  What is the actual model number of the 219 frame, or is it a 220 frame?  It it is a 219 frame it could be an original "Utility" set that someone has added a rifle and shotgun barrel.  There are so many variables.  Another Canadian friend looked at a similar set a few months ago and passed on it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:54:26 PM by Garnett »

MikeLeong

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »
Thanks for all this information. When the gun misfires it does still hit the primer, just not hard enough to set it off. I can try ordering a firing pin, and then if that does not help I do have a good gunsmith I can try out.

I will get some information on that gun with the multiple barrels, based on all the information you provided!

Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »
Mike, Since the tip of the pin is hitting the primer, maybe the spring is weak.  Normally there are "Striker Assemblies" for sale on Ebay.  Tonight there are none.  I cannot post a picture of mine because late last week Microsoft upgraded their system and now my picture processing program won't work. :'(  I will try to scan a picture from my book tomorrow and post it so you can see the entire assembly. 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
Mike, I am going to try to attach page 57 of my book that will show 4 views of a Striker Assembly to give you an idea of what may be needed.  I have another thought on the pin itself.  It could just be slightly bent from center line just enough that it is hitting the primer off center.  As I mentioned earlier, I am not a gunsmith/machinist.  I hope these pictures will help some.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:28:21 PM by Garnett »

MikeLeong

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »
I will buy your book. I was planning on doing that anyway just to learn more about this amazing rifle. Do you make a bit more money if I buy it from you, or should I go through ebay?

I will also resend the photos of my results at the range. I know we emailed each other this spring, not sure why this one got sent back.

Thanks again for all your help,
Mike

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
Mike, I have sent you a private email. 

droptine

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »
when i purchased my 25-20, i had the same problem of not firing all the time. firing pin was marking the primer, but  not hard enough. couple of drops of sea foam deep creep on the firing pin channel works great now. guess it was just a little gummed up

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 07:30:58 PM »
I had never thought of that.  Thanks for your input.  You are also very lucky to have a .25-20!

MikeLeong

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
My apologies not checking messages here more often, I have been crazy busy at work these past few months. Thanks for that tip about Sea Foam. I will try that as a gun that misfires once in a while will drive anybody crazy if you want to use it for hunting.

I just saw a set of 219's for sale today, both in 30-30, along with a 220 that has two 20 gauge barrels on the Canadian Gun Nutz site which got me thinking to check back on this site and see whats up.

Mike

Sentry44

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 07:18:48 AM »
Hi Mike,

I havent checked in in a couple weeks, but I see Garnett has given you the likely best answer...the firing pin spring.  The good news is, you can generally find the entire fully assembled striker assembly either in eBay, or from Numrich.  Buying this will solve two problem for you:

A)  Given the possibility exists that it is a worn firing pin, and not the spring, replacing the whole assembly addresses both.
B)  Having installed this in pieces myself I can tell you if you dont have a mouth like a sailor, will definitely will after that experience.
This is because when you install the entire assembly they have drilled a small hole and inserted a slave pin to hold everything together under pressure, so installing it is easy.  Doing it the way I did - ONCE - in my ignorance, requires juditious use of a large screwdriver in one hand to hold back the spring pressure, while the other hand attempts to jimmy it all into place.

This is not easy.  So just buy the complete assembly, get it into position, and then pull out the pin.

ALSO, save yourself some time and headache when uninstalling your current assembly, by noting where they have drilled and slave pinned the new assembly, and doing that on your current one while it's installed and under pressure.  Just use a small metal drill bit and a 2 inch section of a metal coat hanger as a pin.  Then the assembly comes out easy.  Put your new assembly in, yank out the pin, and you're good to go.

Once youve done it once correctly and understand how the striker works, you'll have it down.  The 219 has a reliable and simple design, and parts are readily available.

On a different matter...you mentioned prices.  In rifle calibers 30-30 is plentiful and not expensive.  $400 for a good gun, $250 for a beater, $100 - $150 for just the barrel on eBay.  All the other calibers are less common and pretty dear.  For 220 shotgun gauges, 12's are everywhere...$100 or less for a barrel, or $200 for a whole gun.  16s and 20s arent too difficult to find.  410s are pretty uncommon, and 28s are downright rare.

Let us know how your operation goes!

Chris
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 07:22:47 AM by Sentry44 »

Sentry44

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 07:28:59 AM »
Here's one on eBay now, if yours is an early gun (I forget).

Note not the little bent piece that's separate, thats a part of the assebmly.  In the third picture you can see a little loop they bent into the end of the slave pin to make it easy to yank out with a tool.  This is what i was talkung about above, that ypu should make ahead of time for your existing assembly.  Fashion a pin, bend a loop in so its easy to grab, then drill the hole and pin it.  Then remove the assembly.

Chris

MikeLeong

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 05:22:30 PM »
Thanks so much for all this detail on what to do if the firing assembly does have to be replaced. If the Sea Foam does not work, and it is the spring or firing pin, I will print out your steps and pass them on to my friend who loves to play with gun mechanisms and let him help do the operation with me as his assistant. It certainly sounds like it could be frustrating if you just start to take things apart without any guidance! I also have Garnett's book with all the schematics, which are very useful I am sure if you do start playing at being a gunsmith.

In Canada the 219's go for $350 to $500 in 30-30. I am guessing the 220 would be a bit less. This guy wants $1,100 for the three guns and the one extra 20 gauge barrel. Probably in the ball park if everything matches and all is in good shape, as you almost never see multiple guns and barrels in the Savage 219 and 200 on the main gun exchange site here. If I did not already have my 30-30 in this Model I would be interested in that set, as I love grouse hunting with a 20 gauge, but I already have some nice side by sides for doing that. My goal is to insure the 30-30 works properly, as it seems darn accurate for the kind of deer hunting I do, 75 to 100 yards at my deer bait.
Again, thanks for your input and advice.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 05:34:52 PM »
Mike, on the two barrel set, be sure the assembly numbers match with both barrels.  Otherwise, someone just added a spare barrel.  Good to hear from you!

Sentry44

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 01:29:49 AM »
Mike you're very right about it as your deer gun.  I hunt about 2/3's if the time in my own property, where the shot can be up to 300 yards, so i use my Rem 700 in .270.  But when I hunt my neighbors, the stand is tight, and the shot is only 30-50 yards.  PERFECT for iron sights and medium velocity.

The .219 .30-30 always gets the nod.  Easy to carry up steep steps.

Chris