Author Topic: My 219 still misfires  (Read 4898 times)

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: My 219 still misfires
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 12:24:42 PM »
After what you just said, did you replace the entire striker assembly, or just the striker?  If you only replaced the striker, maybe the spring is weak or maybe shortened at some time in the past?

MikeLeong

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »
It came with the whole assembly, including that spring.

Cleetus

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 12:18:31 AM »
So I will assume this is a striker firing pin assembly and not a 219B. Next is it a Utica or a Chicopee Falls model. There were two different striker and trigger/sear combinations. As far as I know Numrich has not had the Utica style strikers to sell for several years. The notch on the striker pin part on a Utica is aright angle. The notch on the later model pin part that Numrich sells has a slope on it. The trigger and sear mechanism is also different. If someone replace the Utica pin at some point with a Chicopee thinks 220A vintage receiver then it with not work properly. If you replaced the striker pin part with another Chicopee slope notched pin you will not have solved your problem.

Also hold the receiver up too a light and look for the gap between the breech face and the chamber of the barrel. I’ve seen matching barrels and receivers on guns with very little use that were fit very poorly creating excessive head space. Are your primers protruding from the case on the rounds that do fire?

One spot than can cause friction on the striker firing pin models is the H shaped yoke that supports it and aligns it. Make sure it is centred in the frame of the receiver.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
Cleetus, Thanks for your input.  I was not aware of this difference in strikers.

MikeLeong

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 10:31:48 AM »
Cleetus

Thanks for all this information. Since the gunsmith replaces the old firing pin mechanism with the one I ordered, I have no way of checking if the old one was different as I do not have it anymore. I will bug him to see if he kept the other one. I think my gun is a Utica model as it has the numbers D and V10L on the barrel (receiver also says V10L) and barrel stamp says Savage Arms Utica New York?

I will maybe play with leaving the primers sticking out just a bit on some reloads......

Winter Hawk

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »
I will maybe play with leaving the primers sticking out just a bit on some reloads......

The firing pin may just shove the primers forward in the primer pocket, cushioning the blow and giving another misfire.  I'd be interested to know how you make out!

~Kees~

Cleetus

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 04:07:54 PM »
Yes, my comment about the primers protruding was meant to ask if they protrude after firing. This would be an indication of too much headspace. I have a .22 hornet barrel that is basically useless because of the headspace issue. When the cartridges do go off they pop Bach and then make the gun hard to open.
I also looked at my different strikers and the right angle notch in the Utica strikers is further back than the angled notch in the later style striker for the 220A type action. Hence the striker would have the effect of not being fully cocked. Also as mentioned earlier the yoke that guides the striker and safety plunger might be tight and/or misaligned.

Cleetus

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
One last test for a worn action issue on the headspace issue. With the gun closed take the forearm off and see if there is any wiggle or play in the barrel. These guns can feel tight with the forearm on exerting pressure on the lug and hinge pin but not without