Author Topic: Scope base, your thoughts?  (Read 2099 times)

50fps

Scope base, your thoughts?
« on: January 02, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »
It’s been awhile since I posted, but seeing as most of the hunting season has wound down it was time to break out a winter project. So the other day I was going through the safe and thought to myself how would a TC Encore scope base fit on the 219. I just pulled the base of my Encore and sized it up on the 219. Here are the results. As you can see there is a slight gap for approximately 7/8 of an inch towards the muzzle end of the mount, but the mount screws fall nicely over the thickest part of the barrel.
Now for the question, would going with this be a good idea?

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Scope base, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:43:30 PM »
I don't see why this won't work.  I had a solid one piece base put on my 219 in .30-30 years ago, and it has the same gap at the front.  I have had no problem.  While at the time, a one piece base was not available, I just did not like the looks of a two piece base that was available.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 01:45:56 PM by Garnett »

Exchipy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 08:05:45 AM »
A couple of inexpensive Weaver bases (#43 if I recall correctly) takes the same number of drilled and tapped holes and makes for a simple, uncluttered appearance:

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 09:50:00 AM »
Very nice!  Thanks for sharing!

MikeLeong

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 11:37:11 AM »
I bought a rail (Weaver I think?) for my 219 in 30-30 and had the guy at the gun store mount it. He used the back mounting holes which were similar in spacing to yours (but closer to each other) but when I  took it to the range I found the rail was moving just a bit after firing a few rounds, as the back two mounting holes were so close to each other. The guy at the gun store was reluctant to drill that front hole, because of the gap underneath the rail , and the thinner barrel there. I then took it to a friend who is a professional gunsmith, and he drilled a hole in the barrel that lined up with the front mounting hole on my rail. That set up is a solid as all hell now.
Mike

It’s been awhile since I posted, but seeing as most of the hunting season has wound down it was time to break out a winter project. So the other day I was going through the safe and thought to myself how would a TC Encore scope base fit on the 219. I just pulled the base of my Encore and sized it up on the 219. Here are the results. As you can see there is a slight gap for approximately 7/8 of an inch towards the muzzle end of the mount, but the mount screws fall nicely over the thickest part of the barrel.
Now for the question, would going with this be a good idea?

BT

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 10:11:47 AM »
50fps,

Did you get your Encore base installed? I’ve been trying to find info on a 1 piece base as well that’ll fit the 219 but did not come across anything yet. Seeing your discovery is fantastic, as I’m an Encore guy myself. I hadn’t considered the radius of the barrels being similar to the Encore.

What is the total length of your base, and what is the length from rear to the point where the base still touches the barrel before overhanging?

MGM has bases in shorter lengths and they are quite nice. To avoid any unsupported overhang, one would just need a base long enough for properly distancing the rings, so possibly the 4 inch model would do the trick.

Here’s a link to the MGM page for their various bases. https://matchgrademachine.com/product-category/accessories/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 02:34:23 PM by BT »

50fps

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 05:01:41 PM »
Sorry BT for the late reply, but I haven’t got it mounted yet. The base is approximately 4.41 inches long and the gap is .835 long or less.Ring slots on base are 3.65 for the outer ones and 2.20 for the inner. Hope you find this somewhat useful. Also this is the Warne mount.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 05:31:35 PM by 50fps »

TXTROUT66

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 08:03:44 PM »
Ok.  I know this is an older post, but it gave me some inspiration to get some optical help on a couple of 219s.. I'm having a short rail put on one of my 219s. The Leapold H&R muzzle loader rail perfectly fits the barrel concave and I'm having one put on a 219 30-30 project. Another set of bases that will work are the Savage B22 bases. I may use them on another 219. I'll put up some pictures when I get them back.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 08:36:30 PM »
We look forward to the pictures.  Thanks for your input!