Author Topic: Odd 219 for sale on gunbroker  (Read 13118 times)

Woodcock1

Odd 219 for sale on gunbroker
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Odd 219 for sale on gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the info. 

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
Now that IS odd!  Looks to me to be a "mixmaster" of various Savage and aftermarket parts:

Buttstock looks like a Savage Model 24
Action looks like a late Utica with alloy guard and trigger, or an early Chicopee Falls (but why no model number?  Reblue scrubbed it off?)
Forend aftermarket or heavily redone factory
Buttplate home made
Front sight aftermarket
Rear sight aftermarket redone to "fit" Savage barrel

The barrel is very likely one of the leftover R&D barrels from the closed Utica plant that were sold by Numrich Arms in West Hurley NY in the 1980s, but this one has been rifled after sale, or was rifled after finishing as a 9mm RF smoothbore by the Savage R&D shop.

I remember seeing 9mm RF barrels among those for sale by Numrichs, but don't remember what length they were.  I do remember seeing a .357 Rem Maximum barrel among that lot also, but no .357 Magnums, and the .357 Max was not a "double-stamped" 9mm RF.  (Actually both .357s would make sense in a 219 for deer woods duty since the .357 in a rifle is much more capable than in a handgun.  Savage chambered the Model 24 for those calibers for a short while).

While I'm very glad that the original poster drew our attention to this piece, I would consider it just parts at this point.  9mm Rimfire shot ctgs. are still made by Fiocchi and perhaps other European cartridge makers, and guns for them are still available in Europe. 

They are used for killing pests in the garden (called "Garden Guns"), and for specialized hunting of edible songbirds in some countries, especially their large thrushes which are a delicacy in Italy ("Tordos").  This hunting is increasingly condemned by bird lovers in Europe, and, of course, has long been banned here and in England.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:23:17 PM »
I have a friend here who says that years ago he owned a M219 in .357 Magnum caliber. 

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »
That would be a very nice rifle, especially if one had a 220 shotgun barrel fitted to it, and a .357 revolver.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
I was fortunate in being able to add this gun to my collection.  I will report details upon arrival.  Basically, I feel that I just purchased the barrel for a high price.

Mike Armstrong

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
Sounds like what my wife has been known to accuse me of;  "building a $500 dollar gun out of $800 worth of parts"....

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »
Women just don't understand! :-)  My girl friend wanted to know if I had "gun" money set aside, or did I spend "our" money on that junky looking old gun? :-)  I mailed payment yesterday and after I look the gun over, I will let everyone know what I think.  I feel certain it is an original Savage 220 barrel that has been butchered.  Until now, I have only heard rumors of a 9mm but have not seen one for sale nor talked with anyone who owns one.  Mike, you are the only person I know that says they have seen one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:54:06 PM by Garnett »

Woodcock1

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »
Glad you got it, let us know what you end up doing with it. 

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:42 PM »
I will keep you posted.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
The gun arrived and I have carefully looked it over.  In the mean time, I have talked with someone else who has a similar gun.  He sent pictures of his barrel and they are identical except for the location of the rear sight.  The barrel is a true rimfire barrel, not bored off center like the .22 SHOT barrels.  If a 9 mm rimfire cartridge was in it (before it was rifled to .357) it would not fire in a normal 219/220 action due to the center fire, firing pin.  After discussing the two barrels with the owner of the other one, and showing my gun to my 3 local gunsmith/macninists, all agree with me that the barrel is factory original. 

pivotaction

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 12:21:16 AM »
You should post a picture of it.

Garnett

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
I will try to post a picture.  It is so ugly, it may break the computer.  The barrel is perfect, but a Model 24 stock is on it and cracked on both sides at the receiver, the forearm is a non-matching wood color off a M220, with what I believe to be 12 gauge barrel opening.  And...the receiver has been buffed slightly so no blue/case color is remaining.  Like I said, I bought an expensive barrel! :-)  I have taken some pictures (1-2-16).

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:40:59 PM by Garnett »

Garnett

• Administrator
Re: Odd 219 for sale on gunbroker 9 MM/.357
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 01:20:45 PM »
Sorry to take so long to continue this conversation.  All who have looked at my gun, agree that it is a factory original Savage 9 MM Rim Fire barrel that has been rifled for .357.  The front sight is higher than the normal 219 sight and is sliver soldered in place rather than screwed on.  Since the only thing original about it is the barrel, I am going to re blue the action as it has been heavily buffed, and restock.  The work is now in progress.